Challenging Find maximum deceleration and speed (not max)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum deceleration using a given equation and the substitution v=\frac{ds}{dt}. The attempt at a solution involves using the substitution and the given equation, but results in a different answer than what is expected. To find the maximum deceleration, differentiation and setting the derivative to zero will be necessary.
mia2

Homework Statement

Given $$\frac{d^2s}{dt^2}=-Ae^{s/B}\biggl(\frac{ds}{dt}\biggr)^2$$ Show that maximum deceleration (where [itex] A,B [/itex] are constants, [itex]v=v_0[/itex], and [itex]s=-\infty[/itex]) is [itex]\frac{v_0^2}{2eB}[/itex].

Use the substitution [itex]v=\frac{ds}{dt}[/itex].

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the substitution, I get [itex]\frac{d^2s}{dt^2}=-Ae^{s/B}(v)^2[/itex]. Furthermore, using [itex]v=v_0[/itex] and [itex]s=-\infty[/itex] and using the original function, I get [itex]v=e^{-ABe^{s/B}}v_0[/itex]. Combining these two equations, I get
$$\frac{d^2s}{dt^2}=-Ae^{(s/B)-(2ABe^{s/B})}v_0^2$$.
With [itex]s=-\infty[/itex], I end up with:
$$\frac{-Av_0^2}{e^{2AB}}$$, which isn't what's given in the problem. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your Latex came out garbled. Try hitting the Preview button before you post to make sure everything formats properly.

SteamKing said:
Your Latex came out garbled. Try hitting the Preview button before you post to make sure everything formats properly.

Ok, I've fixed it now. Do you have any suggestions for my physics problem?

mia2 said:
$$\frac{d^2s}{dt^2}=-Ae^{(s/B)-(2ABe^{s/B})}v_0^2$$.
With [itex]s=-\infty[/itex], I end up with:
$$\frac{-Av_0^2}{e^{2AB}}$$, which isn't what's given in the problem. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Why do you think acceleration is maximum at ##s=-\infty##? I don't see how you can find a maximum only by inspection. You will have to differentiate the acceleration function and set the derivative to zero.

I would first check the calculations and make sure all the substitutions and equations have been used correctly. I would also double check the given maximum deceleration value to make sure it is accurate. If it is, then there may be a mistake in the original function or in the given values for A and B. I would suggest checking these values and possibly consulting with a colleague or professor for further clarification. Additionally, I would recommend checking any units used in the calculations to ensure they are consistent and correct.

Related to Challenging Find maximum deceleration and speed (not max)

What does "challenging find maximum deceleration and speed (not max)" mean?

"Challenging find maximum deceleration and speed (not max)" refers to a scientific experiment or study that aims to determine the maximum deceleration and speed of an object without reaching its maximum limit.

Why is it important to find the maximum deceleration and speed of an object?

Knowing the maximum deceleration and speed of an object is crucial for understanding its capabilities and limitations. This information can also be used for designing safer vehicles and predicting potential accidents or collisions.

What factors can affect the maximum deceleration and speed of an object?

The maximum deceleration and speed of an object can be influenced by various factors, such as the object's mass, shape, size, and the surface it is moving on. Additionally, external forces like friction, air resistance, and gravity can also impact the object's deceleration and speed.

How is the maximum deceleration and speed of an object measured?

The maximum deceleration and speed of an object can be determined through various methods, such as using a speedometer, accelerometer, or by analyzing video footage. These tools measure the object's velocity, acceleration, and displacement, which can then be used to calculate the maximum deceleration and speed.

Are there any safety precautions when conducting a challenging find maximum deceleration and speed experiment?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when conducting any scientific experiment. It is important to use appropriate safety equipment, follow proper procedures, and perform the experiment in a controlled environment to minimize any potential risks or hazards.