Change in u and h is for a piston cylinder device.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spring-loaded piston-cylinder device containing air. The device has an initial volume of 0.03m^3, a spring constant of 875N/m, and a piston diameter of 25cm. When the spring is not exerting any force on the piston, the air inside is at a pressure of 2250kPa and a temperature of 240C. The device is then cooled until the volume is halved. Using the ideal gas law and the first law of thermodynamics, the change in internal energy and specific enthalpy can be determined. The conversation also clarifies the calculation of pressure in the second state, taking into account the atmospheric pressure and the weight of
nothingkwt

Homework Statement

0.03m^3 of air is contained in the spring-loaded piston-cylinder device. The spring constant is 875N/m and the piston diameter is 25cm. When no force is exerted by the spring on the piston the state of the air is 2250kPa and 240C. This device is now cooled until the volume is halved. Determine the change in internal energy and specific enthalpy.

Homework Equations

du=Cv(T2-T1)
dh=Cp(T2-T1)
Pv=RT
P2A = PatmA - F spring

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble getting the P2.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

http://imgur.com/sRT21x6
http://minus.com/lE1w4b9sdcKqd

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
<< When no force is exerted by the spring on the piston the state of the air is 2250kPa and 240C. >>

What's holding the piston in at p = 2250 kPa if the spring is not exerting any force to it?

rude man said:
<< When no force is exerted by the spring on the piston the state of the air is 2250kPa and 240C. >>

What's holding the piston in at p = 2250 kPa if the spring is not exerting any force to it?

I have no idea. I guessed that it was the weight of the piston maybe but there was no mention of it.

nothingkwt said:
I have no idea. I guessed that it was the weight of the piston maybe but there was no mention of it.

That would make sense.

In that case, you have enough info to compute p2 and of course V2 = V1/2 given so you can also compute T2. Assuing ideal gas law of course.

Then there's the 1st law of thermodynamics and your other stated equations.

I don't see dh = Ch(T2-T1) though. What's Ch?

rude man said:
That would make sense.

In that case, you have enough info to compute p2 and of course V2 = V1/2 given so you can also compute T2. Assuing ideal gas law of course.

Then there's the 1st law of thermodynamics and your other stated equations.

I don't see dh = Ch(T2-T1) though. What's Ch?

That's the thing though, when I plug in the numbers I get p2 = 95.9Kpa which is not even close to the correct answer of 2244.54 Kpa

Oh and sorry I meant Cp and not Ch.

nothingkwt said:
That's the thing though, when I plug in the numbers I get p2 = 95.9Kpa which is not even close to the correct answer of 2244.54 Kpa

Oh and sorry I meant Cp and not Ch.

Show us how you plugged in the numbers to get p2.

OK on the dh.

BTW I confirmed the answer is correct for p2.

Last edited:
rude man said:
Show us how you plugged in the numbers to get p2.

OK on the dh.

BTW I confirmed the answer is correct for p2.

Fs = kx where x= V2-V1 / A = .306m

Fs = 875(.306) =267.75 N

A = D^2/4

P2 = 101375 - 267.75/ (.049)

P2 = 95.9 kPa

nothingkwt said:
Fs = kx where x= V2-V1 / A = .306m

Fs = 875(.306) =267.75 N
A = D^2/4

P2 = 101375 - 267.75/ (.049)
where did this come from? It's not p1.
P2 = 95.9 kPa[/QUOTE]

rude man said:
where did this come from? It's not p1.
P2 = 95.9 kPa
[/QUOTE]

That is the P atmosphere. Why would it be P1?

That is the P atmosphere. Why would it be P1?[/QUOTE]

Because that was the pressure when the spring was relaxed.

p2 = p1 - pressure of the spring pulling up on the piston. Remember, we decided the piston had the mass needed to keep it at p1 initially?

rude man said:
That is the P atmosphere. Why would it be P1?

Because that was the pressure when the spring was relaxed.

p2 = p1 - pressure of the spring pulling up on the piston. Remember, we decided the piston had the mass needed to keep it at p1 initially?

I think I get it now but why do we neglect the effect of atmospheric pressure on the piston?

nothingkwt said:
I think I get it now but why do we neglect the effect of atmospheric pressure on the piston?

Because it's included in the force that keeps the piston down in state 1. I assumed it was just the weight of the piston but the atosphere of course adds to it. But no matter - p changed from p1 to p2 and the difference is entirely accounted for by the spring stretching. Atmospheric pressure is included in both p1 and p2 as is the weight of the piston. Obviously, considering how high p1 is, atmospheric pressure is << pressure due to the weight of the piston.

Likes 1 person
rude man said:
Because it's included in the force that keeps the piston down in state 1. I assumed it was just the weight of the piston but the atosphere of course adds to it. But no matter - p changed from p1 to p2 and the difference is entirely accounted for by the spring stretching. Atmospheric pressure is included in both p1 and p2 as is the weight of the piston. Obviously, considering how high p1 is, atmospheric pressure is << pressure due to the weight of the piston.

Thank you. I actually get it now.

1. What is the significance of change in u and h for a piston cylinder device?

The change in internal energy (u) and enthalpy (h) for a piston cylinder device is important because it indicates the amount of energy added or removed from the system. This can affect the temperature, pressure, and volume of the system, which are crucial factors in understanding and predicting the behavior of the device.

2. How does the change in u and h affect the efficiency of a piston cylinder device?

The change in u and h can directly impact the efficiency of a piston cylinder device. When u and h increase, it indicates that more energy is being added to the system, which can lead to an increase in the device's efficiency. On the other hand, a decrease in u and h may suggest that energy is being lost, resulting in lower efficiency.

3. Can the change in u and h be negative for a piston cylinder device?

Yes, the change in u and h can be negative for a piston cylinder device. This can occur when energy is being removed from the system, such as during a cooling process. Negative changes in u and h can result in a decrease in temperature and potentially affect the overall performance of the device.

4. What factors can influence the change in u and h for a piston cylinder device?

The change in u and h for a piston cylinder device can be influenced by various factors such as the type of gas or fluid used, the initial and final conditions of the system, and any external work or heat added or removed from the system. These factors can all contribute to the change in u and h and ultimately affect the behavior of the device.

5. How is the change in u and h calculated for a piston cylinder device?

The change in u and h for a piston cylinder device can be calculated using the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy (Δu) is equal to the heat added to the system (Q) minus the work done by the system (W). The change in enthalpy (Δh) can be calculated by adding the product of pressure and change in volume to the change in internal energy. This can be expressed mathematically as Δh = Δu + PΔV.