Can Two Objects Have a Change of Direction Without Speed Change?

In summary, it is possible for two objects to have an interaction where there is no change of direction. However, in order for a mass to change position in a non-linear way, a change in speed must occur which is relative to the original linear path the mass was moving along (or at rest with). So, a change in direction always accompanies a change in speed. Circular motion, such as the Earth orbiting the sun is an example of the speed remaining constant while direction changes.
Drifter009
Is is possible when two objects have one interaction, that one object experience only a change of direction and no change in speed?

It seems possible for two objects to have an interaction where there is no change of direction. (Each object has no spin and they are on a co-linear path.) But, I can't think of a way to see an interaction, where one object has a change of direction but no change of speed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Change of direction implies change in velocity, since velocity is a vector.

I hope you didn't mean speed when you said velocity. In that case, of course it's possible.

Which class are you in?

Yes, I mean speed in place of velocity. I will edit it to stop the confusion.

Would it be easy to explain, I am only taking conceptual physics. So, a non-mathematical explanation would be best for me.

This is why I can't think of it any other way:

In order for a mass to change position in a non-linear way, a change in speed must occur which is relative to the original linear path the mass was moving along (or at rest with). So, a change in direction always accompanies a change in speed.

Last edited:
Circular motion, such as the Earth orbiting the sun is an example of the speed remaining constant while direction changes.

Claude

I thought the Earth's velocity changes, due to an elipitical path. But, if it were circular I still have a problem. If I choose one tangent along the circular path in which the Earth moves and measure the speed in that direction as the Earth passes. The next moment, the Earth has changed direction. From the new tangent, the speed is the same, but from the old force vector, the speed has decreased.

(I am trying my best to understand you and answer.)

The component of the new velo along the old tangent has decreased, but an additional component of the new velo normal to the old tangent has been introduced. The magnitude of the vector sum of these two will remain the same, thus keeping the speed the same at both positions.

Drifter009 said:
I thought the Earth's velocity changes, due to an elipitical path. But, if it were circular I still have a problem. If I choose one tangent along the circular path in which the Earth moves and measure the speed in that directionas the Earth passes. The next moment, the Earth has changed direction. From the new tangent, the speed is the same, but from the old force vector, the speed has decreased.
I don't get the bold part, an object can only have one speed. What I think you are doing is looking at the velocity component in a particular direction. Yes the velocity changes, no question, but the speed does not.

Claude.

Related to Can Two Objects Have a Change of Direction Without Speed Change?

1. Can two objects change direction without changing their speed?

Yes, it is possible for two objects to change direction without changing their speed. This is known as a change in velocity, which includes both speed and direction. If the magnitude of the velocity remains constant while the direction changes, the speed will not change.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both speed and direction. Velocity takes into account the direction of an object's motion, while speed does not.

3. How can two objects change direction without changing their speed?

This can occur if the objects are experiencing a force that causes them to change direction. For example, if two objects collide at an angle, the forces acting on them can cause them to change direction without changing their speed.

4. Is it possible for an object to change direction while maintaining a constant speed?

Yes, an object can change direction while maintaining a constant speed as long as there is no net force acting on it. This is known as uniform circular motion, where the object moves in a circular path at a constant speed.

5. Why is it important to understand the concept of change in direction without a change in speed?

Understanding this concept is important in many areas of science, including physics and engineering. It allows us to analyze and predict the motion of objects in various scenarios, such as collisions, circular motion, and projectile motion. It is also important in understanding the laws of motion and how forces affect the motion of objects.