Calculating Entropy Change in a System at Different Temperatures

In summary, the change of entropy of the water, the reservoir, and the whole system is positive. However the sum of the changes of entropy must be positive since it's an irreversible process.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A kilogram of water at 0°C is put in contact with a reservoir at 100°C. When the water reaches 100°C, what is the change of entropy of the water, the reservoir, and the whole system?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta S = \int \frac{dQ}{T}[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize that the change of entropy of the water is positive while the change of entropy of the tank must be negative. However the sum of the changes of entropy must be positive since it's an irreversible process.
However I don't reach this. What I did was, for the water : [tex]\Delta S =mc \int_{T_0}^{T_{100}} \frac{dT}{T}=1000g \cdot \frac{1 cal}{g K}\ln \left ( \frac{373}{273} \right )=74.66J/K[/tex].

Now the change of entropy of the tank : [tex]\Delta S = \frac{Q}{T}[/tex] since [tex]T[/tex] is constant.
[tex]Q=-mc100K \Rightarrow \Delta S=-1120.64J/K[/tex].

Sidenote : I considered 1cal=4.18 J.

Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
In isothermal condition ΔS = 0.
There is no change in the temperature of the reservoir. So ΔS = ...?

rl.bhat said:
The change of entropy of the reservoir would be 0 but ... are you sure? I've the following solved problem : A reservoir at 300°C is put in contact with a reservoir at 0°C. 20kJ of heat flows irreversibly from the first to the second. Calculate the variation of entropy of the Universe.

Solution : Change of entropy of the first reservoir : [tex]-\frac{20kJ}{573K}=-0.03490kJ/K[/tex].
The for the second reservoir, [tex]\Delta S=0.07322kJ/K[/tex].
Adding them up, [tex]\Delta S _{\text{total}}=38.3J/K[/tex] which is greater than 0.
It's the solution of a test that 5 professors gave.
The temperature of the reservoirs doesn't change, they are assumed to be infinite, although it is not said in the question. (That's why I couldn't solve it!)

fluidistic said:
[tex]\Delta S =mc \int_{T_0}^{T_{100}} \frac{dT}{T}=1000g \cdot \frac{1 cal}{g K}\ln \left ( \frac{373}{273} \right )=74.66J/K[/tex].

Sidenote : I considered 1cal=4.18 J.

Where did I go wrong?

Look at your numbers. To convert from calories to Joules you divided by 4.18 instead of multiplying. Redo the calculation and you will get a number greater than 1120 J/K. All's well with the Second Law.

kuruman said:
Look at your numbers. To convert from calories to Joules you divided by 4.18 instead of multiplying. Redo the calculation and you will get a number greater than 1120 J/K. All's well with the Second Law.

Ah thanks... I don't have anything else to say.

Related to Calculating Entropy Change in a System at Different Temperatures

1. What is entropy and how does it change in a system?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It can change in a system through various processes, such as energy transfer or chemical reactions.

2. How is the change in entropy calculated?

The change in entropy (ΔS) can be calculated using the equation ΔS = Q/T, where Q is the heat transferred and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. What is the significance of a change in entropy in a system?

A change in entropy can indicate the direction of a spontaneous process. If the change is positive, the process is spontaneous and if it is negative, the process is not spontaneous.

4. Can the change in entropy be reversed?

In an isolated system, the change in entropy cannot be reversed. However, in an open system, it is possible to decrease the entropy by adding energy or increasing the order in the system.

5. How does the change in entropy relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. Therefore, the change in entropy of a system can be used to determine the spontaneity of a process and its overall direction.