Change of Variables for Double Integral

In summary, a change of variables for a double integral is a method used to simplify the integration process by transforming the original coordinates into new coordinates. It is used to make the integral easier to evaluate and can also help with visualizing the region of integration. The choice of variables to change depends on the specific integral and the shape of the region of integration, and the Jacobian is a determinant used to represent the relationship between the original and new coordinates. However, there may be limitations to using a change of variables, such as not being able to find a suitable transformation or the region of integration not remaining the same after the transformation.
cjc0117
Update: I figured out how to solve the problem. Nevermind.

Homework Statement

Use a suitable change of variables to evaluate the double integral:

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}\int^{3-x}_{2x}(y-2x)e^{(x+y)^{3}}dydx[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{\partial(x,y)}{\partial(u,v)}=( \frac{\partial x}{\partial u} )(\frac{\partial y}{\partial v})-(\frac{\partial x}{\partial v})(\frac{\partial y}{\partial u})[/itex]

[itex]dA=|\frac{\partial(x,y)}{\partial(u,v)}|dudv[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I made the following change of variables:

[itex]u=x+y[/itex]

[itex]v=2x[/itex]

(At first I tried u=y-2x and v=x+y but that didn't work)

Next, I solved for x and y:

[itex]x=\frac{v}{2}[/itex]

[itex]y=\frac{2u-v}{2}[/itex]

I found that the Jacobian is:

[itex]\frac{\partial(x,y)}{\partial(u,v)}=-\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

And therefore...

[itex]dA=\frac{1}{2}dudv[/itex]

Next I changed the boundaries:

[itex]x=0\rightarrow v=0[/itex]

[itex]x=1\rightarrow v=2[/itex]

[itex]y=3-x\rightarrow u=3[/itex]

[itex]y=2x\rightarrow u=\frac{3}{2}v[/itex]

Therefore, the new region S on the uv-plane is the triangle described by:

[itex]0\leq v\leq 2[/itex]

[itex]\frac{3}{2}v\leq u\leq 3[/itex]

The original integrand becomes:

[itex](y-2x)e^{(x+y)^{3}}\rightarrow \frac{2u-3v}{2}e^{u^{3}}[/itex]

So the new integral is:

[itex]\frac{1}{4}\int^{2}_{0}\int^{3}_{\frac{3}{2}v}(2u-3v)e^{u^{3}}dudv[/itex]

I used wolfram alpha to find out that the integral is equal to [itex]\frac{1}{18}(e^{27}-1)[/itex], which is the correct answer, but I am not sure how to evaluate the integral. Do I have to use another change of variables? Is there a better change of variables I could have used in the beginning?

Thank you. Any help is much appreciated. :smile:

Update:

Okay, I figured out how to solve the integral. I'll post the rest of the solution in case anybody else who has this same question ever happens across this post. What I did was I switched the order of integration so that the integral becomes:

[itex]\frac{1}{4}\int^{3}_{0}\int^{\frac{2}{3}u}_{0}(2u-3v)e^{u^{3}}dvdu[/itex]

[itex]=\frac{1}{4}\int^{3}_{0}(2uv-\frac{3}{2}v^{2})e^{u^{3}}]^{\frac{2}{3}u}_{0}du[/itex]

[itex]=\frac{1}{6}\int^{3}_{0}u^{2}e^{u^{3}}du[/itex]

Use substitution with [itex]w=u^{3}[/itex] and [itex]dw=3u^{2}du\rightarrow \frac{1}{3}dw=u^{2}du[/itex]:

[itex]\frac{1}{18}\int^{27}_{0}e^{w}dw[/itex]

[itex]=\frac{1}{18}e^{w}]^{27}_{0}[/itex]

[itex]=\frac{1}{18}(e^{27}-1)[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

So the final answer is:

\boxed{\frac{1}{18}(e^{27}-1)}

Great job on solving the integral! Your change of variables was the correct approach and it led to the correct answer. It's always a good idea to check your answer with a calculator or online tool like Wolfram Alpha to make sure you got the correct result. Keep up the good work!

Related to Change of Variables for Double Integral

1. What is a change of variables for a double integral?

A change of variables for a double integral is a method used to simplify the integration process by transforming the original coordinates into new coordinates. This allows for easier calculation of the integral and can also help to visualize the region of integration.

2. Why do we use a change of variables for double integrals?

A change of variables is used to simplify the integration process and can also help to visualize the region of integration. It is particularly useful when the original coordinates are not well-suited for integration or when the region of integration is complex.

3. How do we choose which variables to change in a double integral?

The choice of variables to change depends on the specific integral and the shape of the region of integration. Generally, we want to choose variables that will make the integral easier to evaluate, such as polar coordinates for circular regions or trigonometric functions for triangular regions.

4. What is the Jacobian in a change of variables for a double integral?

The Jacobian is a mathematical tool used to represent the relationship between the original coordinates and the new coordinates in a change of variables. It is a determinant of the derivatives of the new coordinates with respect to the original coordinates.

5. Are there any limitations to using a change of variables for double integrals?

While a change of variables can greatly simplify the integration process, it may not always be possible to find a suitable transformation for every integral. Additionally, the region of integration must remain the same after the transformation, as the change of variables only affects the coordinates and not the actual shape of the region.