Why is my Digikey website not working on my new laptop with Windows 7?

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Window
In summary, the individual was having trouble accessing the Digikey website on their old laptop until they changed the DNS server. However, after getting a new laptop with Windows 7, they encountered the same issue even after changing the DNS server. They reached out for advice and someone suggested changing the DNS to Google's servers. However, this did not work and they tried other solutions such as resetting the wireless connection and contacting Digikey for help. Eventually, they discovered that the issue was with their DSL modem and wireless router, which they had unplugged previously to prevent their grandson from playing video games. After powering them off and back on, the issue was resolved.
yungman
I used to have problem going to Digikey website with my old laptop until I change the DNS server. I just got a new laptop with Win7. It doesn't work again. I change the DNS server like my other computer, but it still does not work. Please advice.
Thanks

Attachments

• Change DNS.JPG
    Change DNS.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Chances are that your ISP's DNS is having issues and has the wrong IP listing for Digikey.

I'd suggest you set your DNS's to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4
Both google DNS's
I have historically had issues with ISP DNS's and I always just switch my computers to those as a rule now

I since pull out the old computer that worked after changing the DNS. It's not working anymore and show the same thing. I doubt it's Digikey's website, it has to be on my end. Attached is the message I got. It's not DNS anymore as my computer can go to all the regular sites no problem at all. Please help.

Thanks

Attachments

• Digikey problem.JPG
    Digikey problem.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
open up a command prompt and run:
ping digikey.com and
tracert digikey.com

and post the results

Likes yungman
Thanks Cpscdave

I did what you instruct me. Please see attached image.

I can get into their home page. But after that, nothing work anymore. I can click anything, it will come back and gave error message I posted on post #4.

I just called Digikey, she couldn't help me at all. I have no problem with any other site except digikey.

I tried 3 computers already all failed. I tried Firefox, Chrome and IE, none worked. Problem is not even the browser or computer. I use ATT DSL.

Thanks

Attachments

• Digikey problem.JPG
    Digikey problem.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:
Thanks for your help Cpscdave

I solved the problem. I read on google, I went and powered off both the DSL modem and wireless router. It works now. I just remembered I unplugged the modem on Saturday night to prevent my grandson playing video game on the phone where he supposed to sleep. That's when my problem started.

Likes cpscdave
yungman said:
I solved the problem. I read on google, I went and powered off both the DSL modem and wireless router. It works now. I just remembered I unplugged the modem on Saturday night to prevent my grandson playing video game on the phone where he supposed to sleep. That's when my problem started.

Haha should've suggested you start with that. I don't know if this problem persists in newer hardware but I remember the ol' Linksys WRT-54g router used to have an issue where the routing table could fill up and cause issues.

Glad you got it fixed!

1. How do I change DNS settings in Windows 7?

To change DNS settings in Windows 7, go to the Control Panel and click on "Network and Internet" followed by "Network and Sharing Center." From there, click on the connection type (e.g. Wi-Fi or Ethernet) and then click on "Properties." Under the "Networking" tab, select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and click on "Properties." Finally, choose "Use the following DNS server addresses" and enter the preferred and alternate DNS server addresses.

2. What are the benefits of changing DNS settings in Windows 7?

Changing DNS settings in Windows 7 can provide a number of benefits, including faster internet browsing speeds, improved security and privacy, and the ability to access geo-blocked content. It can also help to troubleshoot internet connectivity issues by bypassing your ISP's DNS servers.

3. What are some commonly used DNS server addresses for Windows 7?

Some commonly used DNS server addresses for Windows 7 include Google's Public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220), and Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1. Your ISP may also provide their own DNS server addresses.

4. Can changing DNS settings cause any problems in Windows 7?

In most cases, changing DNS settings in Windows 7 should not cause any problems. However, if you enter incorrect DNS server addresses or encounter issues with the new DNS servers, you may experience internet connectivity issues. To resolve this, simply revert back to your previous DNS settings or try using different DNS server addresses.

5. How often should I change DNS settings in Windows 7?

There is no set frequency for changing DNS settings in Windows 7. It is recommended to change DNS settings if you experience slow internet speeds, security concerns, or if you want to access geo-blocked content. You may also choose to periodically change DNS settings to see if it improves your internet browsing experience.