Changing from rectangular coordinate to sperical

In summary, the conversation discusses converting from rectangular to spherical coordinates and solving for the equation z^2 = x^2 + y^2 in spherical coordinates. The correct answer is cos^2(phi) = sin^2(phi), but it should be simplified to phi = pi/4. The conversation also mentions the limitations of phi and finding the value for the bottom half of the cone.
tnutty

Homework Statement

change from rectangle to spherical coordinate :

z^2 = x^2 + y^2

I know that :

z = pcos(phi)

x = psin(phi)cos(theta)

y = psin(phi)sin(theta)

there fore

z^2 = x^2 + y^2 in spherical coordinate is

p^2cos(phi)^2 = (psin(phi)cos(theta))^2 + (psin(phi)sin(theta))^2

=

cos^2(phi) = sin^2(phi)*cos^2(theta) + sin^2(phi)*sin^2(theta)

=

cos^2(phi) = sin^2(phi) + sin^2(phi)

=

cos^2(phi) = 2*sin^2(phi)

But the book has it as : cos^2(phi) = sin^2(phi) ?? what gives?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you conclude that sin^2(phi)*cos^2(theta) + sin^2(phi)*sin^2(theta) equals sin^2(phi) + sin^2(phi)??

tnutty said:
cos^2(phi) = sin^2(phi)*cos^2(theta) + sin^2(phi)*sin^2(theta)

=

cos^2(phi) = sin^2(phi) + sin^2(phi)

=

cos^2(phi) = 2*sin^2(phi)

Look at the third to the last line again:

cos^2(phi) = sin^2(phi)[cos^2(theta) + sin^2(theta)]

hope that helps.

tnutty said:

Once you correct your mistake that Dick has pointed out, you might notice that your book's answer:

[tex] \cos^2(\phi) = \sin^2(\phi)[/tex]

while correct, isn't completely simplified. Can you see that the final answer should be of the form [itex]\phi = C[/itex] for the appropriate value of the constant C, and that the surface is actually one of the parameter surfaces for spherical coordinates?

Yes I see what I did wrong.

It is cos^2(phi) = sin^2(phi)

=

cos(phi) = sin(phi)

>>
. Can you see that the final answer should be of the form phi = C.
Yes I guess pi/2 would be correct.

So the equation z^2 = x^2 + y^2 is phi = pi/2 in spherical coord?

tnutty said:
Yes I see what I did wrong.

It is cos^2(phi) = sin^2(phi)

=

cos(phi) = sin(phi)

You mean [itex]|\cos(\phi)| = |\sin(\phi)|[/itex]
>>
. Can you see that the final answer should be of the form phi = C.
Yes I guess pi/2 would be correct.

So the equation z^2 = x^2 + y^2 is phi = pi/2 in spherical coord?

Nope. Guess again. Think about [itex]|\tan(\phi)| = 1[/itex].

I mean pi/4.

tnutty said:
I mean pi/4.

Remember [itex]\tan(\phi)[/itex] can be ± 1. [itex]\pi/4[/itex] will get you the top half of the cone. What value of [itex]\phi[/itex] will get you the bottom half?

-pi/4 ?

would this be ok : plus/minus : n*pi/4n : where n is a integer. OR no because phi is limited to 0 <= phi <= pi

tnutty said:
-pi/4 ?

would this be ok :

plus/minus : n*pi/4n : where n is a integer. OR no because phi is limited to 0 <= phi <= pi

So if phi is between 0 and pi, what value gives the bottom half of the cone? Visualize the surface.

Is there a bottom half? I don't think it will be within bounds because
only pi/4 would solve | tan(phi) | = 1 where 0<= phi <= pi.

| tan( -pi/4) |= 1 but that's no within bounds and

|tan( 5pi/4 ) |= 1 but that's also not within bounds, and those 2 points are the
next points which satisfies the equation.

Yes, there is a bottom half. In your original xyz equation z can be negative. Draw a sketch of the cone, top and bottom. Just look at it. There obviously is a [itex]\phi[/itex] that gives the bottom half.

Related to Changing from rectangular coordinate to sperical

1. What is the purpose of changing from rectangular coordinates to spherical coordinates?

The purpose of changing from rectangular coordinates to spherical coordinates is to represent a point in three-dimensional space using a different coordinate system. This can be helpful in solving certain mathematical problems or in describing the position of an object in physics or engineering.

2. How do you convert from rectangular coordinates to spherical coordinates?

To convert from rectangular coordinates (x, y, z) to spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ), you can use the following equations:
r = √(x² + y² + z²)
θ = arctan(y/x)
φ = arccos(z/r)
Where r is the distance from the origin to the point, θ is the angle in the xy-plane, and φ is the angle from the positive z-axis to the point.

3. What are the advantages of using spherical coordinates over rectangular coordinates?

One advantage of using spherical coordinates is that it simplifies certain mathematical calculations, such as finding the distance between two points or calculating integrals involving spherical symmetry. Spherical coordinates are also often more intuitive and easier to visualize for certain applications, such as in astronomy or geology.

4. What is the range of values for each coordinate in spherical coordinates?

In spherical coordinates, r represents the distance from the origin to the point, and therefore can have any positive value. θ represents the angle in the xy-plane and typically ranges from 0 to 2π. φ represents the angle from the positive z-axis and typically ranges from 0 to π.

5. Can you convert from spherical coordinates back to rectangular coordinates?

Yes, you can convert from spherical coordinates back to rectangular coordinates using the following equations:
x = r*sin(φ)*cos(θ)
y = r*sin(φ)*sin(θ)
z = r*cos(φ)
Where r is the distance from the origin to the point, θ is the angle in the xy-plane, and φ is the angle from the positive z-axis to the point.