Changing limits of integration

In summary, the conversation discusses a double integral involving the function sin(x)/x and the need to change the order of integration in order to evaluate it. The concept of "elementary functions" is also brought up, with the conclusion that this integral cannot be expressed in terms of them. The conversation concludes with the understanding that graphing the limits and reversing the order of integration will allow for the integral to be solved.
dalarev
[SOLVED] Changing limits of integration

Homework Statement

Given:

[tex]\int_{y=0}^\pi\int_{x= y}^{\pi}\frac{sinx}{x} dxdy[/tex]

Change the order of integration and evaluate the double integral.

Homework Equations

My professor told me, "This integral cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions". I'm not exactly sure what that means.

The Attempt at a Solution

sinx/x has always been a very common problem for differentiation and integration, so I'm confident I can solve this with a simple substitution. I'm trying to figure out, however, what they mean by not being able to be expressed in terms of "elementary functions".

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral of sin(x)/x can't be done by any solution. It can't be expressed as a sum or product or quotient of any of the functions you see in calculus. Changing the limits to integrate with y first will allow you to actually do the integral.

Vid said:
The integral of sin(x)/x can't be done by any solution. It can't be expressed as a sum or product or quotient of any of the functions you see in calculus. Changing the limits to integrate with y first will allow you to actually do the integral.

So I assume representing sinx/x graphically, and then choosing the correct y limits is all their is to this problem? I'm at work, just trying to get a head start on this problem.

f(x,y) = sin(x)/x is a 2d- surface. Graph the limits, not the function. Then reverse the order so that y is a function of the x in the first integral.

Ok, I see it, will mark as solved. Thanks for the help.

What is the purpose of changing the limits of integration?

Changing the limits of integration allows us to evaluate integrals over different intervals, which can make the integration process easier or more efficient.

When should I change the limits of integration?

You should consider changing the limits of integration when the given interval is difficult to work with or when the integrand has a more convenient form over a different interval.

How do I change the limits of integration?

To change the limits of integration, you can use substitution or integration by parts. You can also use a change of variables, which involves replacing the original variable with a new one.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when changing the limits of integration?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to change the differential when using substitution, incorrect signs when using integration by parts, and not properly accounting for the change of variables.

Can changing the limits of integration affect the final result of an integral?

Yes, changing the limits of integration can affect the final result of an integral. This is because the value of the integral depends on the interval over which it is evaluated, and changing the limits can change the interval and thus the value of the integral.