Changing the coordinate system of the hands of clock

In summary, changing the coordinate system for the hands of a clock can affect the area between the hands, which can be divided into V1 and V2. Depending on the angles a and b, the area of V1 can range from 0 to Pi*r, with both hands contributing to the area. The new coordinate system of a-b and a+b can also have an impact on the joint rotational modes of the clock, with a-b representing the angle between the hands and a+b potentially being a joint rotation mode. This change in coordinate system also affects the reference point and can be understood in the context of dividing the circle into two regions. Additionally, +p and -p refer to the areas V1 and V2, respectively,
junt
I want to understand what changing coordinate system means for hands of clock. Let's say the clock only has hour and minute hand. It can move let's say just in the upper 180 deg. of the clock (as shown in the figure). The area between the two hands is V1, and the rest is V2. Depending on the angles a and b, the area of V1 can be from 0 to Pi*r. This means, both independent hands of clock will contribute to the area, as can be seen in picture from 1) to 3).

But I want to understand what kind of joint rotational modes is achieved by changing the coordinate system to a-b and a+b. How do I understand this physically? I understand a-b will give the angle in between the two clock. But what about a+b? a-b is sort of a stretch mode I guess? And is a+b the joint rotation mode (meaning both the hands move around at the same time, by the same angle). In addition, the reference will change too right, in these two coordinate system? How do I understand this change of coordinate system in the context of dividing the circle into two arbitrary regions V1 and V2?

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• ClockMode.jpg
    ClockMode.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 348
Physics news on Phys.org
In addition, what does +p and -p here mean. If it is +p, does it mean the area between the two hand is V1. And if it is -p, does it mean the area between the two hands is V2?

Related to Changing the coordinate system of the hands of clock

1. How do you change the coordinate system of the hands of a clock?

To change the coordinate system of the hands of a clock, you must physically manipulate the gears and mechanisms inside the clock. This involves taking apart the clock and adjusting the placement of the gears and hands to align with the new coordinate system.

2. What is the purpose of changing the coordinate system of the hands of a clock?

The purpose of changing the coordinate system of the hands of a clock is to match the timekeeping standards of a particular region or country. This is important for ensuring accurate timekeeping and synchronization with other clocks in the area.

3. Can the coordinate system of a clock be changed without disassembling it?

No, changing the coordinate system of a clock requires physically adjusting the internal mechanisms. Attempting to change it without disassembling the clock could cause damage and result in inaccurate timekeeping.

4. What are the different coordinate systems used for clocks?

The most commonly used coordinate systems for clocks are 12-hour and 24-hour systems. In a 12-hour system, the clock hands make two full rotations in a day, while in a 24-hour system, they make one full rotation. There are also other coordinate systems used in different cultures, such as the Chinese sexagesimal system.

5. Is it possible to change the coordinate system of a digital clock?

Yes, it is possible to change the coordinate system of a digital clock by changing the settings. Most digital clocks have the option to switch between 12-hour and 24-hour formats. However, the actual internal mechanisms of a digital clock do not need to be physically adjusted like a traditional clock.