1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing the rotation of a natural satellite

1. Jan 25, 2009 #1
    Pardon me for my ignorance -- and naivety, if this question idicates it -- but would it be possible to change the rotation of a planet or moon? We'll assume the hypothetical people attempting this project have a nearly infinite budget, but even with quadrillions of dollars, is this even plausible? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Build very big engines on the equator - push out sufficient amount of mass at high enough speed to reverse the planet/moons angular momentum.
    Hit planet/moon with a very big object going very fast in the opposite direction to it's current rotation

4. Jan 25, 2009 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The engines don't have to be big if you are very patient. All depends on your success criteria.

5. Jan 26, 2009 #4
    Oh. I thought about the first one, but wasn't sure if it would really work. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?