How Much Charge Flows When the Switch is Closed?

In summary, when the switch is closed, the charge on each capacitor is the same (3.38 microC). However, when the switch is open, the charge on C1 becomes (6.75 microC) to account for the same potential drop, and the charge on C2 becomes (1.69 microC).
MeKnos

Homework Statement

Two resistors, R1 = 8.00 Ω and R2 = 4.00 Ω and two uncharged capacitors, C1 = 0.480 μF and C2 = 0.240 μF are arranged as shown in the figure below.
gian1946.gif

With a potential difference of 21.1 V across the combination, what is the potential at point a with S open? (Let V = 0 at the negative terminal of the source.)
7.03 V
What is the potential at point b with the switch open?
14.1 V
When the switch is closed, what is the final potential of point b?
7.03 V
How much charge flows through the switch S after it is closed?
NO IDEA

Homework Equations

I know that the potential is the same across the switch when the switch is closed, but I don't know how you can calculate the charge at the specific point B.
Q=CV

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried Q=CV for V=7.03 and C=.24 microF, and I got Q = 1.69 microC (I thought that because the potential drop at C2 is equal to the potential at B), but that didn't work. Everything else is right, but I just don't know how you do the last part.

Other answer I tried, but were wrong, were 3.38 microC, 6.75 microC, and 0 C (just to see).

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, so I did some reading, but I still didn't get the answer. I know that when the switch is open, the charge on both C1 and C2 is the same (3.38 micro C). But after the switch is closed, the charge on C1 becomes (6.75 microC) to account for the same potential drop, and the charge on C2 becomes (1.69 microC).

I'm am completely confused.

With your numbers in post #2, I got 1.68uC. How accurate does the answer have to be to pass the question? You said in post #1 that you got 1.69uC. Your reasoning seems okay to me -- calculate the difference in total charge before and after, and it seems like that charge delta has to flow as current through the switch...

MeKnos said:
Okay, so I did some reading, but I still didn't get the answer. I know that when the switch is open, the charge on both C1 and C2 is the same (3.38 micro C). But after the switch is closed, the charge on C1 becomes (6.75 microC) to account for the same potential drop, and the charge on C2 becomes (1.69 microC).

I'm am completely confused.

I think you are pretty much on top of it.

What is the net charge at point b before the switch is closed? Think about how much charge + and - there is on each plate of each capacitor. If you are assuming that there is no potential difference between the inner plates because of their being connected that would be a clue.

What happens with the closing of the switch? How much charge is now on each plate of each capacitor? If it is not the same as before the switch closed wouldn't there have had to be a charge transfer?

When the switch is open, the charge Q is constant (3.38e-6 C) for both plates. When the switch closes, the charge Q1 is 6.76e-6 C and Q2 is 1.68e-6 C.

I'm confused on how you find what B actually is, because you don't have a capacitance for that point. I know the voltage difference before the switch is closed is 7.03 V (C1=7.03 and C2=14.1). But after the switch is closed, C1=14.1 and C2=7.03, so the potential difference is -7.03 V?

The net charge on B before the switch is closed is zero isn't it, because there is an equal charge on both C1 and C2. But after, does B become 5.064e-6 C, since that is the difference in charges afterward?

If I were to take that 5.064e-6 C difference, and subtract that from the original charge at point B (3.38e-6 C), I would still get 1.68e-6 C, which was wrong.

Is any of what I said right?

Last edited:
You have a value for the net charge before the switch was closed that you established as 0. (+ on one, - on the other)

You identify that there would be a net charge now at the node of 5.06 x 10^-6 C.

Are you missing that the charge on the plates taken together was 0 after you established that already?

Didn't the charge came from somewhere? Wouldn't flow through the switch be a good candidate?

Thanks. Your right. Before my first post, I put 5.06e-6 C as the answer, but that was wrong. Turns out that the answer was -5.06e-6 C, which makes sense now. Thanks again.

Happy sailing then.

Good Luck

1. What is charge across a switch?

Charge across a switch is a phenomenon in which an electrical charge moves or flows across a switch when it is turned on or off. This can occur in both AC and DC circuits.

2. Why is "charge across a switch" considered an unsolved problem in science?

While the basic concept of charge across a switch is well understood, there are still some complex factors that make it challenging to fully predict and control. These include factors such as the material and design of the switch, the type of circuit, and the speed at which the switch is turned on or off.

3. How does charge across a switch affect the performance of electronic devices?

Charge across a switch can cause unwanted electrical spikes, noise, and interference in electronic devices. This can lead to malfunctions or damage to the device, reducing its performance and lifespan.

4. What are some proposed solutions to the charge across a switch problem?

Some proposed solutions include using specialized switch designs and materials, incorporating snubber circuits to absorb excess charge, and implementing proper grounding and shielding techniques in electronic devices.

5. Is there ongoing research on charge across a switch?

Yes, there is ongoing research and development in this area to better understand and control the phenomenon. Advances in materials science, circuit design, and simulation technology have greatly contributed to our understanding and potential solutions for charge across a switch.