Charge and Mass of Singly Ionized Uranium

In summary, the velocity selector separates ions of different charge and magnetic field separates them further. The electric field between the plates is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. The difference in the radii of the orbits of singly ionized 238U and 235U can be calculated by evaluating the radius expression twice.
Marshillboy

Homework Statement

Before entering a mass spectrometer, ions pass through a velocity selector consisting of parallel plates separated by 1.9 mm and having a potential difference of 120 V. The magnetic field between the plates is 0.42 T. The magnetic field in the mass spectrometer is 1.2 T.

(b) Find the difference in the diameters of the orbits of singly ionized 238U and 235U. (The mass of a 235U ion is 3.903x10-25 kg.)

Homework Equations

Radius = mv/qB

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to compare the radii, I need to evaluate the radius expression twice, once for each ion. I'm given the mass of the 235U ion, but I'm unsure as to the charge on either, as well as the mass of the 238U ion.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to know the expression for the velocity, v, of ions emerging from the velocity selector.
In the velocity selector ions experience a deflecting force due to an electric field and a deflecting force due to a magnetic field.
The electric field strength is given by E =V/d where V is the voltage between the parallel plates separated by a distance d.
The ions that emerge from the velocity selector do so because the electric force equals the magnetic force.
You should be able to show that they emerge with the same velocity (hence 'velocity selector')
given by v = E/B
Singly ionised means that each atom has lost 1 electron charge.
The mass must be given in kg and is given by the mass number of each isotope.
Hope this helps

technician said:
You need to know the expression for the velocity, v, of ions emerging from the velocity selector.
In the velocity selector ions experience a deflecting force due to an electric field and a deflecting force due to a magnetic field.
The electric field strength is given by E =V/d where V is the voltage between the parallel plates separated by a distance d.
The ions that emerge from the velocity selector do so because the electric force equals the magnetic force.
You should be able to show that they emerge with the same velocity (hence 'velocity selector')
given by v = E/B
Singly ionised means that each atom has lost 1 electron charge.
The mass must be given in kg and is given by the mass number of each isotope.
Hope this helps

In part a, I have evaluated to find the value of v (which would obviously be the same in both cases).

I calculated to the mass of the U238 ion to be 3.985 x 10-25, which I believe to be correct.

Since each atom has lost 1 electron charge, does this mean that the charge on each ion is +e?

What I have so far is:

RU235 = [(3.903x10-25)(150,375.94)]/[e*1.2]

RU238 = [(3.985x10-25)(150,375.94)]/[e*1.2]

What's wrong here?

You are almost there. The 'e' in the equation is the charge on an electron. Easy to look up.
One small point, I got the mass of U238 to be 3.953 x 10-25.
I got radii of 0.305m for U235 (diameter .610m) and 0.309m for U238 (0.618m)

technician said:
You are almost there. The 'e' in the equation is the charge on an electron. Easy to look up.
One small point, I got the mass of U238 to be 3.953 x 10-25.
I got radii of 0.305m for U235 (diameter .610m) and 0.309m for U238 (0.618m)

It turns out they were very particular regarding accuracy and trailing digits, so it accepted 7.9mm but not 8mm as the answer. All the same, thanks for your help!

1. What is the charge of singly ionized uranium?

The charge of singly ionized uranium is equal to +2. This means that it has two more protons than electrons, giving it a positive charge.

2. How is the charge of uranium determined?

The charge of uranium is determined by the number of electrons it has compared to the number of protons. In the case of singly ionized uranium, it has two more protons than electrons, resulting in a charge of +2.

3. What is the mass of singly ionized uranium?

The mass of singly ionized uranium is approximately 238 atomic mass units (amu). This is slightly lower than the mass of neutral uranium, which is 238.03 amu.

4. How is the mass of uranium affected by ionization?

When an atom is ionized, it loses or gains electrons, which changes its overall charge. This change in charge does not affect the mass of the atom significantly, as the mass of an electron is very small compared to the mass of a proton or neutron.

5. How is the charge and mass of singly ionized uranium important in nuclear reactions?

The charge and mass of singly ionized uranium are important in nuclear reactions because they determine how the atom will interact with other atoms and particles. The positive charge of +2 means that it will be attracted to particles with a negative charge, while its mass determines how it will behave in terms of nuclear decay and fission reactions.