Charge Density Matrix: Calculating & Evaluating for N Electrons

Additionally, if you have access to a university library, you may be able to find more specialized resources on quantum mechanics that could be helpful.In summary, your problem involves calculating the density matrix and total energy for a diatomic molecule with a given electronic structure and energy parameters. You will need to use the provided formulas and possibly resources on quantum chemistry or molecular physics to solve it. I hope this helps and best of luck with your studies.
jameson2
Firstly, I have been able to find almost nothing on this kind of question in textbooks or online anywhere. Most places (including my lecture notes) give at most the definition of the operator and that's all. One page if you're lucky out of a whole book. I'd kill for some examples, if you could direct me anywhere it'd be great. Here's my attempt anyway...

Homework Statement

(i)Consider a diatomic molecule, of atoms A and B. It's electronic structure can be given by the 1s orbitals of A and B, |A> and |B> (assumed orthonormal). Calculate the associated density matrix expanded over the basis set |A>, |B> as a function of number of electrons N=1,2,3,4. Use the nearest neighbour approximation with on site energies [tex] \epsilon_A=-4eV , \epsilon_B=4eV [/tex] and hopping parameter [tex] \gamma=-3eV [/tex]
(ii) By using ρ from part 1 evaluate the total energy for N=1,2,3,4.

Homework Equations

(i) [tex] \rho=\sum_{j}^{occupied} |\psi_j><\psi_j| [/tex]
(ii)[tex] \begin{bmatrix} \epsilon_A & \gamma \\ \gamma & \epsilon_B \end{bmatrix}\left[ \begin{array}{c} \psi_A \\ \psi_B \end{array} \right]= E\left[ \begin{array}{c} \psi_A \\ \psi_B \end{array} \right] [/tex]
(iii)[tex] L=Tr(L\rho) [/tex] for an operator L.

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) I don't know how to go about this, mainly the fact that the question brings in the number of electrons is confusing me. Here's what I've reasoned so far: Since it's a molecule, all the electrons are in the bonding state. Solving the matrix equation to find the bonding state, I get bonding energy of -5eV which leads to a bonding state of [tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{10}} (3,1) [/tex]. Applying the formula for the density matrix for N electrons in the bonding state, I get [tex] \rho= N\frac{1}{10}\begin{bmatrix} 9 & 3 \\ 3 & 1 \end{bmatrix} [/tex]

(ii) Using the formula above, I guess the answer comes from [tex] E=Tr(H\rho) [/tex], but I need the density matrix first. Assuming I have the right density matrix, plugging in the Hamiltonian [tex] \begin{bmatrix} -4 & -3 \\ -3 & 4 \end{bmatrix} [/tex] I get the energy to be -5N for N=1,2,3,4.

Thanks a lot for any help, or pointers towards somewhere that can help me. As I said, I'm having trouble finding info on this topic, you're my last chance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It is understandable that you are having trouble finding information on this topic, as it is a more specific and advanced concept in quantum mechanics. However, I will do my best to provide some guidance and resources for you.

Firstly, let's break down the problem into smaller parts. In part (i), you are asked to calculate the density matrix for a diatomic molecule with a given electronic structure and energy parameters. The density matrix is a mathematical tool used to describe the quantum state of a system. In this case, it will give us information about the electronic structure of the molecule and how many electrons are in each orbital.

To calculate the density matrix, you will need to use the formula you provided: \rho=\sum_{j}^{occupied} |\psi_j><\psi_j| , where |\psi_j> represents the wavefunction for each occupied orbital. In this case, you have two orbitals, |A> and |B>, and you will need to find the wavefunction for each one. You can do this by solving the matrix equation you provided: \begin{bmatrix} \epsilon_A & \gamma \\ \gamma & \epsilon_B \end{bmatrix}\left[ \begin{array}{c} \psi_A \\ \psi_B \end{array} \right]= E\left[ \begin{array}{c} \psi_A \\ \psi_B \end{array} \right] , where \epsilon_A and \epsilon_B are the on-site energies and \gamma is the hopping parameter. The energy, E , will depend on the number of electrons in the system, which brings us to the next part of the problem.

In part (ii), you are asked to use the density matrix you calculated in part (i) to evaluate the total energy of the system for different numbers of electrons. To do this, you will use the formula: E=Tr(H\rho) , where H is the Hamiltonian for the system. This will give you the total energy for a given number of electrons. You can then repeat this calculation for different numbers of electrons to get the energy for N=1,2,3,4.

As for finding examples of similar problems, I suggest looking into textbooks or online resources on quantum chemistry or molecular physics. These topics often cover the electronic structure of molecules and may

Related to Charge Density Matrix: Calculating & Evaluating for N Electrons

1. What is a charge density matrix?

A charge density matrix is a mathematical representation of the electron density of a system, which describes the distribution of electrons in space. It is an important concept in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate and evaluate the properties of systems with multiple electrons.

2. How is the charge density matrix calculated?

The charge density matrix is calculated using the wavefunction of the system, which is obtained through solving the Schrödinger equation. The wavefunction is then used to construct the density matrix, which is a matrix of electron probability amplitudes. The charge density can then be calculated by taking the trace of this matrix.

3. What is the significance of the charge density matrix in quantum mechanics?

The charge density matrix is significant because it allows for the evaluation of important properties of a system with multiple electrons, such as the total energy and electron density. It also provides a way to understand the electron-electron interactions within the system, which is crucial in predicting the behavior of molecules and materials.

4. How does the charge density matrix change with the number of electrons in a system?

The charge density matrix changes with the number of electrons in a system because the number of electrons affects the electron-electron interactions, which in turn affects the wavefunction and ultimately the density matrix. As the number of electrons increases, the complexity of the density matrix increases, making it more challenging to calculate and evaluate.

5. What are some applications of the charge density matrix?

The charge density matrix has many applications in chemistry, physics, and materials science. It is used to study the electronic structure and properties of molecules, solids, and surfaces. It is also essential in the development of computational methods for predicting and understanding chemical reactions and materials properties.