Charge in a spherical conducting shell

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a conducting spherical shell with a charge of q2 and a potential of 100V at an outer radius of R. The individual discussing the problem has calculated the E field using Gauss law and has integrated it to find the potential, resulting in a value of q21. They are then asked to find the charge in the sphere using the given inner and outer radii. The individual has calculated a value of 2.22e-9, but the correct answer is 1.67e-9. They are seeking help in finding their mistake.
Markv

Homework Statement

There's a conducting spherical shell with Q = q2 and V =100v and outter radius R

Homework Equations

V=k*Q/R

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculate the E field using Gauss law, and I get E=q2/4*Pi*E0*r

Integrating the E field to get the potential V y get:

V = q2/4*pi*E0*R = 100

And there I get the value of q2

Physics news on Phys.org
1. What is the question that the problem poses?
2. What can we do for you?

Sorry this is the first time I open a thread and I might haven't been too concise.

Im asked to find the charge in the sphere knowing the inner radius = 0.15m and the outter radius = 0.2

The result I get is 2.22 exp -9 when the correct answer according to my assignment should be 1.67 exp -9 so i don't know where the mistake is.

We can help you find your mistake if you can show us exactly what formula you used and what numbers you put in it.

, which is the charge on the spherical conducting shell. This means that the shell has a total charge of q2 and a potential of 100V at its outer radius. This information can be used to calculate the electric field at any point inside or outside the shell, using the equation E = q2/4*pi*E0*r. Additionally, the potential inside the shell can be found using the equation V = k*Q/r, where Q is the total charge of the shell and r is the distance from the center of the shell. This information can be useful in understanding the behavior of electric fields and potentials in conducting shells, and can be applied to various other scenarios in electromagnetism.

1. What is a spherical conducting shell?

A spherical conducting shell is a hollow, spherical object made of a material that allows electric charges to move freely. This means that any excess charge placed on the shell will distribute evenly on its surface.

2. How does charge distribute on a spherical conducting shell?

According to the "Charge Distribution on a Conducting Sphere" law, the charge on a spherical conducting shell will distribute evenly on its surface, regardless of the location of the excess charge.

3. What happens to the electric field inside a spherical conducting shell?

The electric field inside a spherical conducting shell is zero. This is because the charges on the surface of the shell create an electric field that cancels out the electric field of any excess charge inside the shell.

4. How is the electric potential inside a spherical conducting shell affected by charge?

The electric potential inside a spherical conducting shell is also zero. This is because the electric potential is directly related to the electric field, and since the electric field is zero inside the shell, the electric potential is also zero.

5. Can the charge on a spherical conducting shell be changed?

Yes, the charge on a spherical conducting shell can be changed by placing a different amount of excess charge on its surface. However, the charge will always distribute evenly on the surface of the shell.