Solving Electromag Homework: Can You Help?

• Thread starter notmetalenough
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving three charged beads on a horizontal rod. The goal is to find the point of equilibrium for the third charge. The person initially sets up an equation and solves for x, but their answer is rejected. They eventually realize that their answer was correct but was not being accepted due to a missing leading 0.
notmetalenough
I'm doing my first electromag homework so there will probably be a few more of these.

Two small beads having positive charges 19q and q are fixed at the opposite ends of a horizontal insulating rod extending from the origin (the location of the larger charge) to the point x = d. As in the figure below, a third small charged bead is free to slide on the rod.

So I figure that

F = ((k * 19q Q)/ x^2) - (k* q * Q)/(d-x)^2)

so 19/x^2 = 1/(d-x)^2

d-x = x / sqrt(19)

d = x + x/sqrt(19)

= x * (1+sqrt(19))/sqrt(19)

so x = d * (sqrt(19))/(1 + sqrt(19))

which would be about 0.81339

apparently it's the wrong answer. Can anyone tell me why, or where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to find the point of equilibrium for the third charge? If so, it will find equilibrium at the point where the force from both charges cnacel each other out (equal each other) or when the electric field is zero. These occur at only one point and they are the same point.

right, but i have to find it as a ratio of d.

i can't find anything wrong with how i set it up, I made the charges proportional, and equal to each other and then solved for x, my answer should be sound, but the program won't accept it.

okay, false alarm. I did have the right answer, my program wouldn't accept it without the leading 0 and wouldn't tell me that that was the reason I was getting it wrong.

((k * 19q Q)/ x^2) = (k* q * Q)/(d-x)^2) is where you should start, solving for x.

What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electromagnetic fields and the interactions between electricity and magnetism.

What are some common methods for solving electromagnetism homework?

Some common methods for solving electromagnetism homework include using mathematical equations, applying principles of electromagnetism, and using simulation software.

Can you help me understand the principles of electromagnetism?

As a scientist, I am familiar with the principles of electromagnetism and can help explain them to you. Electromagnetism involves the study of electric and magnetic fields, how they are related, and how they interact with matter.

How do I approach a complex electromagnetism problem?

When faced with a complex electromagnetism problem, it is important to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying the known variables and using equations to solve for the unknowns. It may also be helpful to draw diagrams or use simulation tools to visualize the problem.

Can you provide tips for understanding and solving electromagnetism homework?

Some tips for understanding and solving electromagnetism homework include reviewing key concepts, practicing with different types of problems, and seeking help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It is also important to read and follow instructions carefully and show all work to receive full credit.