1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charged Particles on a pendulum

1. Feb 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the distance(d) separating the charged particles dangling on the pendulum?

Length of Nonconducting string=120cm
    mass of particles= 10g
    Charge q = 1.2*10^-8

2. Relevant equations

Fe=(k*q^2)/d^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I could get this problem easily if I had either the angle between verticle and the nonconducting string or the electric force opposing the masses. I have been using my knowledge of trigonometry to figure this out and trying to manipulate the above equation, but with no luck. Just needed to be pointed in the right direction I think. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Focus on one of the particles. You have three forces on the particle, gravity, electrical, and the tension force of the the string. They all have to balance (i.e. the sum is zero). Split each one of them into xy components and express them in terms of the unknown angle theta. Start writing down the equations you get, ok?

4. Feb 16, 2009 #3
    ok.... I will show you what I have. I don't know Fe or Theta.....That is where I am hitting a roadblock. mg= .098N

Fe=Tsin(theta)
    mg=Tcos(theta)
    Fe/mg=Tan(theta)

Am I still overlooking something?

5. Feb 16, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can also express Fe in terms of sin(theta), since the distance is a function of sin(theta).

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook