Charges are Great Need more assistance

In summary, to keep the three charges in place, the ratio q_3/q must be equal to .03 and the x and y components must both be .03.
Saladsamurai
[SOLVED] Charges are Great! Need more assistance!

Homework Statement

Picture2-1.png

In the figure particle 1 of +q and particle 2 of charge +4q are held at a separation of L=.09 m If particle 3 of charge q_3 is to be placed such that the three particles remain in place when released, what must be (a) the ratio q_3/q and the (b) x and (c) y components?

Okay, I solved b and c easy enough. There is no y component and x=.03.

I am having trouble with a. Any hints? I know it must be a similar procedure, that is, I need to use the fact that there is NO NET force...but I can't seem to spot the correct relationship such that I am left with the desired variables (they don't cancel).

Word.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I looked it up on Cramster (which I absolutely hate doing) and in their solution they assume that [itex]F_{31}=F_{21}[/itex] , but I cannot reason that out.

Any ideas?

Good Morning! Maybe I'll have some luck, now let's see here. . .:smile:

For your answer of b you used the fact that the net force on q3 must be 0. now use the fact that the net force on q1 and q2 must be 0.

kamerling said:
For your answer of b you used the fact that the net force on q3 must be 0. now use the fact that the net force on q1 and q2 must be 0.

Okay, I am kind of with you. So since the net force on all three particles is 0, then. . . crap I lost it.

Can someone give ne a little more of a nudge?

Saladsamurai said:
Okay, I am kind of with you. So since the net force on all three particles is 0, then. . . crap I lost it.

Can someone give ne a little more of a nudge?

Anyone? I know it may be obvious to some, but not to me.

What are the expressions for the total force on each charge? For each one just add the forces from each of the other two.

You mean like [itex]F_{1,net}=F_{12}+F_{13}[/itex]?

Sure, why not? Now, what are [tex]F_{12}[/tex] and [tex]F_{13}[/tex]?

[tex]F_{12}=\frac{k|q||4q|}{L^2}[/tex]

and

[tex]F_{13}=\frac{k|q||q_3|}{(L-x)^2}[/tex]

Okay, I have values for L and X. What about the [itex]F_{1,net}[/itex] would that just be 0? It must be since the condition is that they stay in place, thus F_net-0.

Does this sound reasonable?

Last edited:
I cannot get this to come out right! I am trying to solve for the ratio [itex]\frac{q_3}{q}[/itex]Using
[tex]F_{1,net}=F_{12}+F_{13}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow F_{1,net}=\frac{k|q||4q|}{L^2}+\frac{k|q||q_3|}{(L-x)^2}[/tex]

I thought I could say that [itex]F_{1,net}=0[/itex] And then solve the above for

[tex]\frac{q_3}{q}[/tex]

But this is not working?

Got IT! r_2 not equal to L-x. . . duh. It's just x!

Thanks everyone!

What does "Charges are Great Need more assistance" mean?

It means that there are certain expenses or costs associated with a particular situation or task and additional help or support is needed to manage them effectively.

What types of charges are typically involved in a situation where assistance is needed?

There can be various types of charges such as financial charges, legal charges, service charges, or any other fees that may be necessary to accomplish a specific goal or task.

Why is it important to address these charges?

It is important to address these charges because they can have a significant impact on the outcome of a project or task. Ignoring them or not managing them properly can lead to financial or legal consequences.

How can one get more assistance with these charges?

There are several ways to get more assistance with charges such as seeking advice from a financial advisor, consulting with a lawyer, or outsourcing tasks to professionals who specialize in managing charges.

What are some strategies for effectively managing charges?

Some strategies for managing charges include creating a budget, negotiating for lower fees, prioritizing expenses, and regularly reviewing and tracking charges to ensure they are within budget.