1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charges at the corners of a square.

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Four positive charges are located on the corners of a square of side-length a.
    The charges are A=4, B=2, C=8
    4q----a----q
    |------------|
    a-----------a
    |------------|
    2q----a----8q

Determine the magnitude and direction of the electric field experienced by charge q in terms of q, a, and ke.

2. Relevant equations
    Ex = [q1*q2/(4*∏*εo*a^2)]cosθ
    Ey = [q1*q2/(4*∏*εo*a^2)]sinθ

3. The attempt at a solution

Ex = 4keq2/a^2 + 2keq2/[(2a2)^.5]cos45
    Ey = [2keq2/(a*21/2)]sin45 + 8keq2/a2

I know I have to sum up the x components from A->q and B->q for the x component of the vector, and then sum up the y components from B ->q and C->q for the y component and then use the pythagorean theorum to find the magnitude. For the direction I have to take the tangent of the y-component/x-component. I am just confused because there aren't any values given. Would the above be correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check the expressions for the denominators.

4. Sep 26, 2012 #3
    I just went on fearofphysics.com (lifesaver) and have realized my error. I had the distance squared for one fraction, but not the other one. Thank you very much.

Edit: It WOULD be one of those errors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook