Charging of resistor with resistance in parallel

In summary: This resistance limits the initial current and prevents the unphysical situation from occurring.In summary, the conversation discusses the contradiction between an ideal capacitor starting with zero voltage and an ideal voltage source providing a constant voltage. This leads to an unphysical situation where the initial current is infinite and the time constant for charging the capacitor is zero. However, in the real world, this is prevented by the resistance in power sources and wires.
AdityaDev
The cell can provide conatant emf ε and initial charge of capacitor is zero.
Now current through resistor initially is zero and increases. But the potential difference across the capacitor is always a constant with magnitude ε.
then ##\frac{q(t)}{C}=E##
So ##q(t)=CE## which implies q is constant and non zero. So initial charge in capacitor can never be zero! But this contradicts the initial condition. What mistake am I doing? I am trying to find the time constant.

Attachments

• 20150416_233111-1.jpg
    20150416_233111-1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 512
Physics news on Phys.org
AdityaDev said:
The cell can provide conatant emf ε and initial charge of capacitor is zero.
Now current through resistor initially is zero and increases. But the potential difference across the capacitor is always a constant with magnitude ε.
then ##\frac{q(t)}{C}=E##
So ##q(t)=CE## which implies q is constant and non zero. So initial charge in capacitor can never be zero! But this contradicts the initial condition. What mistake am I doing? I am trying to find the time constant.
The problem with ideal things is that they can lead to unphysical situations such as this. An idea capacitor does start off with zero volts and an ideal voltage source provides that voltage as soon as it comes on and continues to provide it, unwaveringly. This leads to the situation here where the initial current is infinite, which is unphysical.

So the time constant for charging of capacitor is zero.

AdityaDev said:
So the time constant for charging of capacitor is zero.
Again, this is an unphysical situation. I'm an engineer. As far as I'm concerned, the answer is irrelevant because it is impossible. Real world power sources and wires to capacitors have resistance, even if only a small amount.

Likes AdityaDev

1. What is the purpose of charging a resistor with resistance in parallel?

The purpose of charging a resistor with resistance in parallel is to create a circuit in which the resistor and another component (such as a capacitor) are connected in parallel. This allows for the resistor to share the voltage with the other component and control the flow of current through the circuit.

2. How does charging a resistor with resistance in parallel affect the overall resistance of a circuit?

Charging a resistor with resistance in parallel decreases the overall resistance of a circuit. This is because the two components connected in parallel share the voltage, resulting in a decrease in the total resistance of the circuit.

3. What is the formula for calculating the equivalent resistance of a resistor with resistance in parallel?

The formula for calculating the equivalent resistance of a resistor with resistance in parallel is 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn. This formula takes into account the reciprocal of each individual resistance connected in parallel to find the total equivalent resistance.

4. How does charging a resistor with resistance in parallel affect the total current in a circuit?

Charging a resistor with resistance in parallel does not affect the total current in a circuit. The total current remains the same, but it is divided between the two components connected in parallel. This means that the current through the resistor will be less than the total current in the circuit.

5. What are some common applications of charging a resistor with resistance in parallel?

Charging a resistor with resistance in parallel is commonly used in electronic circuits to control the flow of current. It is also used in power supplies to regulate voltage and in audio systems to control the volume. Additionally, it is used in various types of sensors, such as temperature sensors, to measure changes in resistance.