Calculate Shear Stress for a Glued Solid Rod in .375 in. D Hole

In summary, the problem involves finding the shear stress on a solid rod glued into a hole with a smaller diameter. The shear stress can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the surface area of the glue around the rod, which is equal to the rod circumference multiplied by the hole depth. Other factors to consider include the length of the glued section and the type of glue being used.
BigRedTruck

Homework Statement

A Solid rod with .375 in. D sits glued in the hole with .38 in. D. There is glue only on the annulus of the rod. A force is applied to the back side of the rod until the glue bond is fully sheared and the rod falls out.

2wbwcon.jpg

Find the shear stress

Homework Equations

τ=F/A psi
Annulus A = π((D2/2)^2-(D1/2)^2) in^2
Force is observed values where the glue sheared in lbf

The Attempt at a Solution

Rod D Hole D Annulus A Force Shear
0.375 0.38 0.002964878 219.9 74168.31

Some other observed forces and calculated shear values
F tau
130.3 43947.84
71.61 24152.76
31.12 10496.22
52.06 17558.90

I don't have anyone around to check my numbers and these values seem really large

Physics news on Phys.org
The shear stress depends on the area of the glued surface around the rod, not the end area, You will need to be given the length of the glued section of the rod (the embedded depth or hole depth) to solve the problem by finding the surface area of the glue.

( If its super glue, it'll pull out pretty easily, because although it has pretty good tensile strength, it has rotten strength in shear)!:smile:

Ok so I need to change my stress formula to tau=Force/(width of the bond (D2-D1) * height of the bond)
in the first case it would be 219.9 lbf /(.005 in.*.27 in.)=162888.9 psi

I've been looking around most everything I've seen are lap joints

No, you are not taking the inner surface area at the glue/rod interface. Picture unwrapping the glue into a flat shape. The surface area is the rod circumference times the hole depth. Shear areas are parallel to the shear forces.

. I would double check my calculations and units to make sure they are correct. Also, make sure to use consistent units throughout the calculations. It may also be helpful to compare your results to known values or equations for shear stress in glued rods to see if they are in the same range. Additionally, consider the material properties of the rod and glue to ensure the values are physically realistic.

What is shear stress?

Shear stress is a type of stress that occurs when two forces act in opposite directions parallel to a surface.

How is shear stress calculated?

Shear stress is calculated by dividing the force applied parallel to a surface by the area over which the force is applied.

What units are used to measure shear stress?

Shear stress is typically measured in units of force per area, such as newtons per square meter (N/m^2) or pounds per square inch (psi).

What materials experience shear stress?

Shear stress can occur in any material that is subjected to forces acting in opposite directions parallel to a surface, such as in beams, bridges, and even human bones.

Why is it important to check my numbers for shear stress?

Checking numbers for shear stress is crucial in engineering and design to ensure that materials can withstand the forces acting upon them and to prevent failure or structural collapse.