Checking a Linear Algebra result

In summary, the problem asks for a description of the possible echelon forms of a nonzero 3x2 matrix. The four matrices provided are all in echelon form, but the first matrix does not have a leading entry.
Char. Limit
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Yeah, so I'm just starting LinAlg, and I wanted to check my answer on a certain question. The question reads:

"Describe the possible echelon forms of a nonzero 3x2 matrix. Use the symbols [tex]\diamond[/tex], *, and 0, as in the first part of example 1."

Now, here, the [tex]\diamond[/tex] indicates a nonzero entry, the * indicates an entry that can be any value, and the 0 indicates, well, a zero entry.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I got four matrices:

[tex]\left[ \begin{array}{cc}
\diamond & 0 \\
0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 \\
\end{array} \right][/tex]

\diamond & * \\
0 & \diamond \\
0 & 0 \\

\diamond & * \\
0 & * \\
0 & \diamond \\

\diamond & * \\
0 & * \\
0 & * \\

However, I feel like I'm missing some. Can you help me with which ones?

Physics news on Phys.org
In echelon form, the leading entry in a row has to be strictly to the right of the leading entry of the row above it, so your third and fourth matrices wouldn't generally be in echelon form.

Another case you might consider is when the first column has no leading entry.

Do you mean that the next leading entry can't be two rows down from the previous one? I... didn't honestly remember that.

And I'll take a look at the cases of "no leading entry in the first row". Thanks, I knew I had forgotten something.

No, it's more that you can't have two rows where the first non-zero element is in the same column. The matrix

[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 2 \\ 0 & 3 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

is not in echelon form though the matrix would qualify as your fourth type.

So, I have this as my answer now:

\diamond & 0 \\
0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 \\

\diamond & * \\
0 & \diamond \\
0 & 0 \\

0 & \diamond \\
0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 \\

I do wonder though, is an all-zero matrix in echelon form?

Looks good.

An all-zero matrix is in echelon form. It satisfies all the requirements. There are no leading entries, so there's nothing to worry about there. And all the zero rows are at the bottom.

I'd better add it then. Thanks for the help.

The problem specified non-zero matrices, so you don't need the 0 matrix.

Oh, of course. How foolish of me.

I guess I need to read the problem more carefully...

What is the purpose of checking a linear algebra result?

The purpose of checking a linear algebra result is to ensure that the calculations and solutions are accurate and free of errors. This is important because even a small mistake in a linear algebra problem can lead to incorrect solutions and affect the overall understanding of the problem.

What are the common methods for checking a linear algebra result?

The common methods for checking a linear algebra result include solving the problem using a different method, using matrix operations to verify the solution, and plugging the solution back into the original problem to see if it satisfies all the given conditions.

Why is it important to check a linear algebra result?

Checking a linear algebra result is important because it helps to catch any mistakes or errors in the calculations. It also ensures that the solution is consistent with the given problem and satisfies all the conditions. This can help to improve understanding and confidence in solving similar problems in the future.

What are some common mistakes to look out for when checking a linear algebra result?

Some common mistakes to look out for when checking a linear algebra result include incorrect use of matrix operations, errors in arithmetic or algebraic calculations, and misinterpreting the given problem. It is also important to check for consistency in units and dimensions throughout the problem.

What should be done if errors are found when checking a linear algebra result?

If errors are found when checking a linear algebra result, the calculations should be reviewed and corrected. It is also helpful to recheck the solution using a different method or asking for a second opinion from a colleague or mentor. It is important to understand and correct any mistakes in order to fully grasp the concept and improve problem-solving skills.