Checking for interference equation - two wave mixing

In summary, the individual equations in this problem involve expanding and manipulating complex numbers, as well as applying various properties and using Fourier Transform. However, when expressing the results in Fourier Spectrum, there are discrepancies and the results are not consistent. The poster is seeking confirmation on their derivation and explanation for why this inconsistency occurs.
watertreader

Homework Statement

Not too sure if my problem falls under this category. Hope I have done all formatting correctly

Basically I am seeking some confirmation on my maths derivation and would like to enquire why there is discrepancies when we expressed the result in Fourier Spectrum.

Homework Equations

The fundamental equation I am working on is
[tex]\left|Z_{1}+Z_{2}exp\left(-jw_{c}t\right)\right|^{2}[/tex]

By expanding out the equation, I would get
[tex]\left|Z_{1}+Z_{2}exp\left(-jw_{c}t\right)\right|^{2}[/tex]
[tex]=\left(Z_{1}+Z_{2}exp\left(-jw_{c}t\right)\right)\left(Z_{1}+Z_{2}exp\left(-jw_{c}t\right)\right)^{*}[/tex]

[tex]=\left|Z_{1}\right|^{2}+ \left|Z_{2}\right|^{2}+Z_{1}Z_{2}^{*}exp\left(jw_{c}t\right) +Z_{2}Z_{1}^{*}exp\left(-jw_{c}t\right) [/tex]

Using [tex]AB^{*}+A^{*}B = 2\Re\left(AB^{*}\right)[/tex],
[tex]=\left|Z_{1}\right|^{2}+\left|Z_{2}\right|^{2}+2Re\left(Z_{1}Z_{2}^{*}exp\left(jw_{c}t\right)\right)[/tex]

Let's Call this equation 1,

Expanding out, we have
[tex]=\left|Z_{1}\right|^{2}+ \left|Z_{2}\right|^{2}+2\left[Re\left(Z_{1}Z_{2}^{*}\right)cos\left(w_{c}t\right)-Im\left(Z_{1}Z_{2}^{*}\right)sin\left(w_{c}t\right)\right][/tex]

For the 3rd Equation, we use another property,
[tex]Acos\left(w_{c}t\right)-Bsin\left(w_{c}t\right)[/tex]
[tex]= \sqrt{A^{2}+B^{2}}cos\left(w_{c}t + \theta\right)[/tex]

we have the following 3rd equation
[tex]=\left|Z_{1}\right|^{2}+ \left|Z_{2}\right|^{2}+2Re\left|Z_{1}Z_{2}^{*}\right|cos\left(w_{c}t+\theta\right)[/tex]

Hope my derivation is correct

The Attempt at a Solution

However, if we convert them by applying Fourier Transform, they seem to be unequal

[tex]F\left[ Eq1\right] = 2F\left(Re\left( Z_{1}Z_{2}^{*}\right)\right)\otimes \delta\left(f+f_{c}\right)[/tex]

[tex]F\left[ Eq2\right] = \frac{2}{2}F\left(Re\left( Z_{1}Z_{2}^{*}\right)\right)\otimes \left[\delta\left(f+f_{c}\right)+\delta\left(f-f_{c}\right) \right] +\frac{2}{j}F\left(Im\left( Z_{1}Z_{2}^{*}\right)\right)\otimes \left[\delta\left(f+f_{c}\right)-\delta\left(f-f_{c}\right) \right][/tex]

[tex]F\left[ Eq3\right] = 2F\left(\left| Z_{1}Z_{2}^{*}\right|\right)\otimes \left[\delta\left(f+f_{c}+\theta\right) + \delta\left(f-f_{c}+\theta\right)\right][/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure why the result of the Fourier Transform is not consistent. Can someone please help me with this?

1. What is the "Checking for interference equation - two wave mixing"?

The "Checking for interference equation - two wave mixing" is a mathematical formula used in the field of optics to determine if two waves will interfere constructively or destructively when they overlap. It is commonly used in experiments involving lasers and other coherent light sources.

2. How is the interference equation calculated?

The interference equation is calculated by taking into account the amplitude and phase of each wave and adding them together. The result will determine if the waves interfere constructively (amplitudes add) or destructively (amplitudes cancel out).

3. What is the significance of checking for interference in two wave mixing experiments?

Checking for interference is crucial in two wave mixing experiments as it allows scientists to understand how the waves interact with each other and whether their combined effect will result in constructive or destructive interference. This information is important in designing and optimizing experiments for specific outcomes.

4. Can the interference equation be applied to non-coherent waves?

No, the interference equation is only applicable to coherent waves, meaning they have a consistent phase relationship. Non-coherent waves, such as light from a light bulb, do not have a predictable phase and therefore cannot be analyzed using this equation.

5. Are there any limitations to the interference equation?

Yes, the interference equation assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account factors such as absorption, scattering, and diffraction. In real-world scenarios, these factors may affect the interference pattern and need to be considered in the analysis.