1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Checking my work on a Lennard-Jones problem

1. Sep 29, 2013 #1
    EDIT: Found a silly algebra mistake. But let me know if I got this right.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The Lennard-Jones potential is [tex] U(r) = \left[ \left( \frac{\rho}{r} \right)^{12} - \left( \frac{\rho}{r} \right)^6 \right][/tex].

What is the equilibrium distance? And can you show that the movement around that equilibrium distance is a simple harmonic oscillator?

OK, so I know that the equilibrium distance has to be where the force is zero. So all I need do is take a derivative of [itex]U(r)[/itex]. I get:

[tex] \frac{dU(r)}{dr} = -12 \rho^{12} r^{-13} + 6 \rho^6 r^{-7} [/tex]

and making that equal to zero we end up with [itex] r^6 = -2 \rho^6 [/itex]

So far so good, that means [itex]r_{min} = \rho 2^{\frac{1}{6}} [/itex]

Now to show that it is a simple harmonic oscillator.

[tex] F(r) = -12 \rho^{12} r^{-13} + 6 \rho^6 r^{-7} = ma = m \ddot r [/tex]

so

$$ \ddot r = \frac{F(r)}{m} = -12 \frac{\rho^{12}}{r^{13}m} + 6 \frac{ \rho^6} {r^{7}m} $$

When I plug in the value of [itex]r_{min}[/itex] I end up with [itex] \ddot r (0) = \frac{-3}{mr} - \frac{3}{mr} = \frac {-6}{mr} [/itex]. Which would seem to indicate that the natural frequency is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{-6}{mr}}[/itex] which is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{-6}{m} \frac{1}{2^{1/6}\rho}}[/itex]

But that's an imaginary quantity so I think I messed up somewhere. If anyone can point out a mistake that would be most appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

This equation implies that ##r## is imaginary, which is incorrect.

That is correct.

That has nothing to do with a harmonic oscillator. How would the equation look like for a harmonic oscillator? The "standard" way to derive this is to make a Taylor expansion around the equilibirum position and show that it can approximate a harmonic oscillator.

4. Sep 30, 2013 #3
    So would I approach it like this:

[tex]U(r_{min}) + (r_{min} - r) \frac{dU(r_{min})}{dr} + \frac{1}{2!}(r_{min} - r)^2\frac{d^2U(r_{min})}{dr^2}+...[/tex]

is a taylor expansion of the equation I have for potential. But when I do that I seem to get a lot of terms that don't look much like an SHO equation.

That is, I would get:

[tex]U(r_{min}) + (r_{min} - r) \frac{dU(r_{min})}{dr} + \frac{1}{2!}(r_{min} - r)^2\frac{d^2U(r_{min})}{dr^2}+...[/tex]

which gets me

[tex]\frac{12 \rho^{12}}{(\rho 2^{\frac{1}{6}})^{-13}} - \frac{6 \rho^{6}}{(\rho 2^{\frac{1}{6}})^{7}} = \frac{6}{r}[/tex] for the first term, and [tex]\frac{(-156) \rho^{12}}{(\rho 2^{\frac{1}{6}})^{-14}} - \frac{(-42) \rho^{6}}{(\rho 2^{\frac{1}{6}})^{8}} = \frac{-156}{\rho^2 r^2} - \frac{42}{\rho ^2 r^2}[/tex] for the second term and so on.

5. Sep 30, 2013 #4

DrClaude

Let me rewrite the second term in the more mathematically correct
    $$
    (r_{min} - r) \left. \frac{dU(r)}{dr} \right|_{r = r_{min}}
    $$
    What can you say about that derivative?

6. Sep 30, 2013 #5
    Would it not go to zero? (if [itex]r_{min} = r[/itex] that would seem logical). And in that case,

[tex]U(r_{min}) = \left[ \left( \frac{\rho}{r_{min}} \right)^{12} - \left( \frac{\rho}{r_{min}} \right)^6 \right] = \left[ \left( \frac{\rho}{\rho 2^{\frac{1}{6}}} \right)^{12} - \left( \frac{\rho}{\rho 2^{\frac{1}{6}}} \right)^6 \right] = \left[ \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) - \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) \right] = - \frac {1}{4}[/tex]

But that leaves you with just 1/4, not an SHO expression. But plugging in the [itex]r_{min}[/itex] to the Force expression (the derivative of U) and I end up with [itex]\frac{6}{\rho 2^{\frac{1}{6}}}[/itex] or [itex]\frac{6}{r_{min}}[/itex] in the other terms (with second and higher-order derivatives) but we just established that if [itex]r_{min}=r[/itex] they go to zero.

I'm missing something here, obviously.

7. Sep 30, 2013 #6

DrClaude

Exactly. So we can take
    and rewrite it as
    $$
    U(r) \approx U(r_{min}) + \frac{1}{2}\frac{d^2U(r_{min})}{dr^2} (r_{min} - r)^2 \text{ for } r \approx r_{min}
    $$
    Doesn't this remind you of something? (Hint: set ##x \equiv r_{min} - r##)

8. Sep 30, 2013 #7
    but wouldn't the other derivatives go to zero as well? [itex](r_{min}-r)^2 = 0 [/itex] if [itex]r_{min}=r [/itex] and that would make the second term zero. I see that it looks like an SHO but i can't get my head around the fact that the second derivative seems to be zero as well.

9. Sep 30, 2013 #8

DrClaude

Yes, the second term is 0 at ##r = r_{min}##, and positive everywhere else. What is the difference between that and
    $$
    V(x) = \frac{k}{2} x^2
    $$
    at ##x = 0##?

It is certainly not 0. Try to derive it again.

10. Sep 30, 2013 #9
    I did derive it again. That was the really ugly expression I got involving 156 et cetera. and it doesn't alter the fact that if [itex]r_{min} = r[/itex] then subtracting one from the other makes it zero and if you multiply that by the second derivative you get zero! Again I see that it is supposed to look like an SHO expression, but I am getting zeros in the denominator and the Taylor expansion makes the higher-order derivati go to zero in any case.

I mean, look, we have this term:

[tex]\frac{1}{2!}(r_{min} - r)^2\frac{d^2U(r_{min})}{dr^2}[/tex]

the part of it that is [itex](r_{min} - r)^2[/itex] has to make the whole thing zero, doesn't it? What am I missing from this derivative?

11. Sep 30, 2013 #10

DrClaude

But it is zero only at ##r = r_{min}##, not for a displacement from equilibrium. Let me quote you again the OP:

12. Sep 30, 2013 #11

DrClaude

Forgot to say: to answer the question, you don't need the exact expression. Finding that
    $$
    \left. \frac{d^2U(r)}{dr^2} \right|_{r = r_{\min}} = \text{const.} > 0
    $$
    is sufficient.

13. Sep 30, 2013 #12
    Aha! You don't need to consider where it goes to zero only, you need to look at it as a displacement and since the other derivatives will be constants, you get the form that looks like an SHO. I think I understand this now!

14. Sep 30, 2013 #13

DrClaude

I think that what you missed was that the result is a function of ##r##. I hinted at that in two places in post #6, but I might have been too subtle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted