Checking my work on a Lennard-Jones problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the Lennard-Jones potential and determining the equilibrium distance and movement around it. The correct equation for a harmonic oscillator is derived using a Taylor expansion, and it is shown that the second derivative is not equal to zero. There is confusion over the use of the term (r_{min} - r)^2 in the Taylor expansion and how it affects the final equation.
Emspak
EDIT: Found a silly algebra mistake. But let me know if I got this right.

Homework Statement

The Lennard-Jones potential is [tex] U(r) = \left[ \left( \frac{\rho}{r} \right)^{12} - \left( \frac{\rho}{r} \right)^6 \right][/tex].

What is the equilibrium distance? And can you show that the movement around that equilibrium distance is a simple harmonic oscillator?

OK, so I know that the equilibrium distance has to be where the force is zero. So all I need do is take a derivative of [itex]U(r)[/itex]. I get:

[tex] \frac{dU(r)}{dr} = -12 \rho^{12} r^{-13} + 6 \rho^6 r^{-7} [/tex]

and making that equal to zero we end up with [itex] r^6 = -2 \rho^6 [/itex]

So far so good, that means [itex]r_{min} = \rho 2^{\frac{1}{6}} [/itex]

Now to show that it is a simple harmonic oscillator.

[tex] F(r) = -12 \rho^{12} r^{-13} + 6 \rho^6 r^{-7} = ma = m \ddot r [/tex]

so

$$ \ddot r = \frac{F(r)}{m} = -12 \frac{\rho^{12}}{r^{13}m} + 6 \frac{ \rho^6} {r^{7}m} $$

When I plug in the value of [itex]r_{min}[/itex] I end up with [itex] \ddot r (0) = \frac{-3}{mr} - \frac{3}{mr} = \frac {-6}{mr} [/itex]. Which would seem to indicate that the natural frequency is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{-6}{mr}}[/itex] which is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{-6}{m} \frac{1}{2^{1/6}\rho}}[/itex]

But that's an imaginary quantity so I think I messed up somewhere. If anyone can point out a mistake that would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Emspak said:
and making that equal to zero we end up with [itex] r^6 = -2 \rho^6 [/itex]
This equation implies that ##r## is imaginary, which is incorrect.

Emspak said:
that means [itex]r_{min} = \rho 2^{\frac{1}{6}} [/itex]
That is correct.

Emspak said:
Now to show that it is a simple harmonic oscillator.

[tex] F(r) = -12 \rho^{12} r^{-13} + 6 \rho^6 r^{-7} = ma = m \ddot r [/tex]

so

$$ \ddot r = \frac{F(r)}{m} = -12 \frac{\rho^{12}}{r^{13}m} + 6 \frac{ \rho^6} {r^{7}m} $$

That has nothing to do with a harmonic oscillator. How would the equation look like for a harmonic oscillator? The "standard" way to derive this is to make a Taylor expansion around the equilibirum position and show that it can approximate a harmonic oscillator.

So would I approach it like this:

[tex]U(r_{min}) + (r_{min} - r) \frac{dU(r_{min})}{dr} + \frac{1}{2!}(r_{min} - r)^2\frac{d^2U(r_{min})}{dr^2}+...[/tex]

is a taylor expansion of the equation I have for potential. But when I do that I seem to get a lot of terms that don't look much like an SHO equation.

That is, I would get:

[tex]U(r_{min}) + (r_{min} - r) \frac{dU(r_{min})}{dr} + \frac{1}{2!}(r_{min} - r)^2\frac{d^2U(r_{min})}{dr^2}+...[/tex]

which gets me

[tex]\frac{12 \rho^{12}}{(\rho 2^{\frac{1}{6}})^{-13}} - \frac{6 \rho^{6}}{(\rho 2^{\frac{1}{6}})^{7}} = \frac{6}{r}[/tex] for the first term, and [tex]\frac{(-156) \rho^{12}}{(\rho 2^{\frac{1}{6}})^{-14}} - \frac{(-42) \rho^{6}}{(\rho 2^{\frac{1}{6}})^{8}} = \frac{-156}{\rho^2 r^2} - \frac{42}{\rho ^2 r^2}[/tex] for the second term and so on.

Emspak said:
Let me rewrite the second term in the more mathematically correct
$$
(r_{min} - r) \left. \frac{dU(r)}{dr} \right|_{r = r_{min}}
$$
What can you say about that derivative?

Would it not go to zero? (if [itex]r_{min} = r[/itex] that would seem logical). And in that case,

[tex]U(r_{min}) = \left[ \left( \frac{\rho}{r_{min}} \right)^{12} - \left( \frac{\rho}{r_{min}} \right)^6 \right] = \left[ \left( \frac{\rho}{\rho 2^{\frac{1}{6}}} \right)^{12} - \left( \frac{\rho}{\rho 2^{\frac{1}{6}}} \right)^6 \right] = \left[ \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) - \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) \right] = - \frac {1}{4}[/tex]

But that leaves you with just 1/4, not an SHO expression. But plugging in the [itex]r_{min}[/itex] to the Force expression (the derivative of U) and I end up with [itex]\frac{6}{\rho 2^{\frac{1}{6}}}[/itex] or [itex]\frac{6}{r_{min}}[/itex] in the other terms (with second and higher-order derivatives) but we just established that if [itex]r_{min}=r[/itex] they go to zero.

I'm missing something here, obviously.

Emspak said:
Would it not go to zero?
Exactly. So we can take
Emspak said:
and rewrite it as
$$
U(r) \approx U(r_{min}) + \frac{1}{2}\frac{d^2U(r_{min})}{dr^2} (r_{min} - r)^2 \text{ for } r \approx r_{min}
$$
Doesn't this remind you of something? (Hint: set ##x \equiv r_{min} - r##)

but wouldn't the other derivatives go to zero as well? [itex](r_{min}-r)^2 = 0 [/itex] if [itex]r_{min}=r [/itex] and that would make the second term zero. I see that it looks like an SHO but i can't get my head around the fact that the second derivative seems to be zero as well.

Emspak said:
but wouldn't the other derivatives go to zero as well? [itex](r_{min}-r)^2 = 0 [/itex] if [itex]r_{min}=r [/itex] and that would make the second term zero.
Yes, the second term is 0 at ##r = r_{min}##, and positive everywhere else. What is the difference between that and
$$
V(x) = \frac{k}{2} x^2
$$
at ##x = 0##?

Emspak said:
I see that it looks like an SHO but i can't get my head around the fact that the second derivative seems to be zero as well.
It is certainly not 0. Try to derive it again.

I did derive it again. That was the really ugly expression I got involving 156 et cetera. and it doesn't alter the fact that if [itex]r_{min} = r[/itex] then subtracting one from the other makes it zero and if you multiply that by the second derivative you get zero! Again I see that it is supposed to look like an SHO expression, but I am getting zeros in the denominator and the Taylor expansion makes the higher-order derivati go to zero in any case.

I mean, look, we have this term:

[tex]\frac{1}{2!}(r_{min} - r)^2\frac{d^2U(r_{min})}{dr^2}[/tex]

the part of it that is [itex](r_{min} - r)^2[/itex] has to make the whole thing zero, doesn't it? What am I missing from this derivative?

Emspak said:
I mean, look, we have this term:

[tex]\frac{1}{2!}(r_{min} - r)^2\frac{d^2U(r_{min})}{dr^2}[/tex]

the part of it that is [itex](r_{min} - r)^2[/itex] has to make the whole thing zero, doesn't it? What am I missing from this derivative?
But it is zero only at ##r = r_{min}##, not for a displacement from equilibrium. Let me quote you again the OP:
And can you show that the movement around that equilibrium distance is a simple harmonic oscillator?

Emspak said:
That was the really ugly expression I got involving 156 et cetera.
Forgot to say: to answer the question, you don't need the exact expression. Finding that
$$
\left. \frac{d^2U(r)}{dr^2} \right|_{r = r_{\min}} = \text{const.} > 0
$$
is sufficient.

Likes 1 person
Aha! You don't need to consider where it goes to zero only, you need to look at it as a displacement and since the other derivatives will be constants, you get the form that looks like an SHO. I think I understand this now!

I think that what you missed was that the result is a function of ##r##. I hinted at that in two places in post #6, but I might have been too subtle.

1. What is a Lennard-Jones problem?

A Lennard-Jones problem is a type of computational problem in physics and chemistry that involves calculating the potential energy between two particles, typically atoms or molecules, using the Lennard-Jones potential equation. This equation takes into account the distance between the particles and their respective sizes.

2. How do I check my work on a Lennard-Jones problem?

The best way to check your work on a Lennard-Jones problem is to compare your results with those obtained by other researchers or by using different computational methods. It is also important to double-check your calculations and make sure you have correctly implemented the relevant equations and parameters.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving a Lennard-Jones problem?

Some common mistakes when solving a Lennard-Jones problem include forgetting to account for all of the relevant parameters, using incorrect units, or making errors in the mathematical calculations. It is important to carefully check your work and make sure all steps are followed correctly.

4. Can I use a computer program to solve a Lennard-Jones problem?

Yes, many computer programs and software packages are specifically designed for solving Lennard-Jones problems. These programs can save time and reduce the risk of human error in calculations. However, it is still important to understand the underlying principles and equations involved in order to properly interpret and verify the results.

5. What are some real-world applications of Lennard-Jones problems?

Lennard-Jones problems are commonly used in molecular dynamics simulations to study the behavior of atoms and molecules in various systems, such as liquids, solids, and gases. This type of computational analysis is also used in materials science, chemistry, and biophysics to understand the interactions between particles and how they affect the properties of different materials.