Checking to see if I'm right or not.

• Thread starter Pinkshell4u
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work done by gravity on a jogger running up a hill with given dimensions and mass. The solution involves finding the parallel component of distance and using the equation F*D to calculate the work. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the concept of work as a change in distance.
Pinkshell4u
Checking to see if I'm right...or not.

Homework Statement

A hill is 100 m long and makes an angle of 12 degrees with the horizontal. As a 50-kg jogger runs up the hill, how much work does gravity do on the jogger?

Homework Equations

Do I use PEg=mgDelta Y ?

The Attempt at a Solution

PEg = (50 kg) (9.8 m/s2) (100m) which equals 49,000 which is wrong. I know the answer is -10,000 J.

How and why? So confused...

Physics news on Phys.org

work is

[tex]\int\vec{F}\bullet dr[/tex]

to get rid of the dot product, you must take the parallel component of the distance that it is in the same direction of the force (gravity..which is down)

so you get :

-F*d*sin([tex]\theta[/tex]) = -mg*d*sin([tex]\theta[/tex]) = -(50)(9.8)*100*sin(12)

Oh, I think I get it. Thanks alot.

no problem, remember that when you have the expression for work as:

F * D

that D is the change in distance, so say you climb a mountain than you climb back down than the work overall is zero since the change in position is zero

I would first like to commend you for attempting to solve this problem and seeking clarification when you encountered difficulties. This shows a great attitude towards learning and problem-solving.

To answer your question, yes, you are on the right track by using the equation PEg=mgΔy to calculate the work done by gravity. However, the negative sign in your final answer indicates that the work done by gravity is actually in the opposite direction of the jogger's motion. This is because gravity is acting downwards, while the jogger is moving upwards.

Another important factor to consider is the angle of the hill. In this case, the jogger is not moving directly upwards, but at an angle of 12 degrees. This means that the force of gravity is not acting directly against the jogger's motion, but at an angle. To account for this, we need to use the component of gravity that is acting in the direction of the jogger's motion, which is given by mgcosθ, where θ is the angle of the hill.

Therefore, the correct equation to use in this case is PEg=mgcosθΔy. Substituting the values, we get:

PEg=(50 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(cos12)(100m)= -10,000 J

I hope this explanation helps to clarify your confusion. Remember, in physics, it is important to pay attention to the direction of forces and the effects of angles when solving problems. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the scientific method and how does it relate to checking if I'm right or not?

The scientific method is a systematic approach used by scientists to answer questions and solve problems. It involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. Checking if you are right or not is a crucial step in the scientific method, as it allows you to evaluate the validity of your hypothesis and make any necessary adjustments.

2. What are some common ways to check if my hypothesis is correct?

Some common ways to check if your hypothesis is correct include conducting experiments, gathering and analyzing data, and comparing your results to other studies or existing theories. It is also important to consider alternative explanations for your findings and to have your work peer-reviewed by other scientists.

3. How do I know if my experiment was designed properly to test my hypothesis?

A well-designed experiment should have a clear and testable hypothesis, a control group, and a proper sample size. The experiment should also be repeatable and have controls in place to minimize any potential biases or confounding variables. If you are unsure about the design of your experiment, it is always helpful to consult with other scientists or seek feedback from your peers.

4. What should I do if my results do not support my hypothesis?

If your results do not support your hypothesis, it is important to critically evaluate your methods and data to determine if there were any errors or flaws in your experiment. You may also want to consider alternative explanations for your findings and revise your hypothesis accordingly. Negative results can also be valuable in the scientific community, as they can lead to further research and new discoveries.

5. How do I know if my conclusion is valid?

A valid conclusion should be supported by evidence from your experiment and should logically follow from your results. It should also be consistent with existing theories and previous research. It is important to thoroughly analyze your data and consider any potential limitations or biases before drawing a conclusion. Having your work peer-reviewed by other scientists can also help ensure the validity of your conclusion.