Chem lab, check it over for me please?

• Thread starter losethefire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem Lab
In summary, the purpose of the conversation was to calculate the molar enthalpy of sodium hydroxide using water in a calorimeter. The materials and procedure were discussed, and the observations and calculations for three trials were provided. The third trial seemed to be abnormal and was not included in the average calculation, resulting in a molar enthalpy of 29.57 kJ/mol for sodium hydroxide. Additional questions were asked regarding the trend in temperature change and the equivalence of enthalpy and heat change in water.
losethefire
This is basically the lab I typed up tonight to hand in tomorrow. I'm wondering:
1. Does it look okay?
2. Is there any additional information I should add/anything to take out?
3. Is my third calculation totally off or is it just experimental error?

Purpose: To calculate the molar enthalpy of the compound sodium hydroxide by using water in a calorimeter.

Materials: An insulated coffee cup with a fitted lid
Water (varying volumes in each trial)
Solid sodium hydroxide (varying masses in each trial)
A thermometer

Procedure: 1. Fill the coffee cup with 100ml of water. Find and record the temperature fdsof the water.
2. Weigh 9.36g of sodium hydroxide.
3. Add the sodium hydroxide to the water and quickly place the lid on top of the cup.
4. Lift the lid a bit and stir with the thermometer until the sodium hydroxide dissolves. Record the temperature of the solution.
5. Pour out the solution and clean the coffee cup thoroughly.
6. Repeat steps 1-5 twice. In the second trial, use 100ml of water and 29.27g of sodium hydroxide. In the third trial, use 75ml of water and 71.52g of sodium hydroxide.

Observations:

Trial Volume of Water Mass of Sodium Hydroxide Temperature initial Temperature final
1 100ml 9.36g 22°C 40°C
2 100ml 29.27g 23°C 70°C
3 75ml 71.52g 22°C 85°C

Calculations:
ΔHNaOH=qwater
nH=vcΔt
H=vcΔt
n
For trial 1
H= 0.1L* 4.19kJ *18°C *40g
L ● °C * 9.36g * 1 mol
= 32.23 kJ/mol

For trial 2
H= 0.1L* 4.19kJ *47°C* 40g
L ● °C *29.27g *1 mol
=26.91 kJ/mol
For trial 3
H= 0.075L * 4.19kJ * 63°C * 40g
L ● °C *71.52g *1 mol
=11.07 kJ/mol
Conclusions: I found that the third trial seemed to be abnormal and so I won’t include it in an average. By averaging the two closer enthalpies, I got 29.57 kJ/mol as the molar enthalpy for sodium hydroxide.
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Sorry if the math and the charts are a little illegible. It's hard to communicate math over the internet.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ask yourself this question, based on the trend you see with the first two data sets, what value in the temperature change would you have predicted when the amount of grams of NaOH doubles and the volume water decreases by a fourth? Is it feasible to attain this magnitude of a temperature change with water?

Also, from my past calorimeter experiments during my undergraduate years, the enthalpy was not equivalent to the heat change of water, if my memory serves me well. However, your professor may have simplified the matter for himself.

1. The lab procedure and calculations look appropriate and well-organized.
2. One suggestion would be to include units for the values in the observations and calculations, such as mL for volume and g for mass. It may also be helpful to label the units in the calculations to make it easier to follow. Additionally, it would be good to include a brief explanation of the equations used for the calculations.
3. The third calculation seems to be significantly lower than the first two, which could indicate experimental error. It would be helpful to include any potential sources of error and how they may have affected the results. Overall, it's important to acknowledge any possible sources of error and discuss how they may have impacted the results.

1. What is the purpose of a chem lab?

A chem lab is used for conducting experiments and analyzing chemicals in a controlled environment. It allows scientists to observe and manipulate chemical reactions to gather data and make conclusions about the properties and behavior of substances.

2. How do I ensure safety in a chem lab?

To ensure safety in a chem lab, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear such as goggles and gloves, follow proper handling and disposal procedures for chemicals, and always read and follow instructions carefully. It is also important to have a first aid kit and fire extinguisher readily available.

3. What are some common lab techniques used in chemistry?

Some common lab techniques used in chemistry include measuring and mixing chemicals, performing titrations, using spectrometers and other instruments for analysis, and conducting distillations and extractions.

4. What should I do if I make a mistake in the lab?

If you make a mistake in the lab, it is important to inform your supervisor and follow any necessary protocols for handling the situation. Depending on the severity of the mistake, it may be necessary to start the experiment over or make adjustments to your procedure.

5. How do I properly document my lab results?

To properly document your lab results, it is important to record all data and observations accurately and clearly. This may include using tables, charts, and graphs to organize data, as well as writing detailed notes about the experiment and any unexpected outcomes. It is also important to cite any sources or references used in the lab.