Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chem project, just need some starting advice

1. Feb 11, 2004 #1
    Hello... i am concurantly working on a chemistry project called my "favorite" element... i wanted to do helium because of its akward behavior at near absolute zero but since it doesnt react w/ anything i couldnt use it for my stoichiometry problems:frown: ... well anyways my element that i picked out of randomness, was Molybdenum... now can anyone pleae give me some tips as to where and how i could find some interesting information? and does anyone know anything interesting about this element allready that would not be "common textbook knowledge" (like element number, mass... simple stuff like that i dont need)... any help will not be overlooked, thankyou.
    -Hessam

oh yes, and to help anyone out who might actually help... its element number 42

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2004 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Feb 14, 2004 #3
    Not directly the same question, but it is similar enought that I didn't want to start a new thread.

I was just looking at some of the properties of Bromine and under Chemical Properties it had a heading of Incompatibilies. In this category it listed several metals and inorganics, but it also listed hydrogen. If HBr exsists, then how is that possible?

5. Feb 14, 2004 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Incompatibility" means do not mix without the expectation of great excitement when used in MSDS/NFPR contexts. You are looking at rapid and energetic reaction possibilities. HBr is formed as a result of such a reaction, but the the elements themselves are incompatible in the sense that reaction is inevitable.

6. Feb 15, 2004 #5
    Thanks. I was thinking it most likely would have been something more along those lines.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?