Determine the empirical formula of the compound

• Thread starter Atomos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation is about finding the empirical and molecular formulas for an unknown compound given the mass percentages of carbon, hydrogen, and nitrogen. The percentages do not add up to 100% and the remaining percentage is assumed to be oxygen. After calculations, the empirical formula is determined to be HC2N3-2H2O and the molecular formula is roughly double that. There is a question about the accuracy of the answer and a suggestion to post the question in a chemistry forum.
Atomos
[urgent] chemistry help

I am given the percent by mass of various elements in an unknown compound, I must then find the empirical formula then find the molecular formula by the molar mass of the compound in part b. This particular problem, however, does not have the mass percentages add up to 100%, more like 68%, so I have to guess what the remaining 32%, and my assumptions vastly affect the outcomes of my asnwers.

Question: The percentages bt nass of C, H, and N in an unknown compound are found to be 23.30%, 4.85% and 40.78%, respectivley. (N.B. these do not add up yo 100%. Why?).
(a)Determine the empirical formula of the compound.
(b)The molar mass is 206 g/mol, what is its molecular formula?

Solution attempt:

The only think that could account for as much as 32% of the compound's mass that I know of is [tex]H_2 0[/tex] if it is hydrated. So therefore the other 31.07% of the mass is oxygen. So a little bit of work shows that the mole ratio is as follows : [tex] C : H : N : O = 1 : 2.47 : 1.5 : 1 [/tex]
so I multiply everything by two to get numbers that can be rounded to whole numbers
[tex]2 : 5 : 3 : 2 [/tex]
Since the Oxygen is part of the water, 2 moles o oxygen requires two 4 moles of hydrogen, so the resulting empirical formula is [tex]H C_2 N_3 - 2 H_2 O [/tex]

some more calculations show that the molecular formula is ROUGHLY that times 2 for.
That compound has no polyatomic ions in my table. Am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
would I get a faster response if I posted this in the chemistry forum? Is cross-posting allowed?

Do you mean they are given to you in percents, as in grams? If this is the case, convert to moles and divide each by the smallest molar mass. Then you should be able to set up your ratio.

Related to Determine the empirical formula of the compound

1. What is an empirical formula?

An empirical formula is the simplest whole number ratio of atoms present in a compound. It represents the relative number of each type of atom in a molecule.

2. How do you determine the empirical formula of a compound?

To determine the empirical formula of a compound, you must first know the mass or percentage composition of each element in the compound. Then, you can convert these values into moles and divide each mole value by the smallest mole value to obtain the simplest whole number ratio.

3. What information do I need to determine the empirical formula?

You will need the mass or percentage composition of each element in the compound, as well as the molar mass of each element.

4. Can the empirical formula be different from the molecular formula?

Yes, the empirical formula can be different from the molecular formula. The molecular formula represents the actual number of atoms of each element in a molecule, while the empirical formula represents the simplest ratio.

5. How is the empirical formula useful in chemistry?

The empirical formula is useful in chemistry because it provides information about the relative number of atoms in a compound. This can help in determining the properties and behavior of the compound, as well as in predicting its reactions with other compounds.