Chemistry Homework Help: Identifying Metals and Anomalous Density in Elements

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about identifying metals from a given table of elements, and another question about comparing the density of metals and non-metals and identifying an anomaly. The elements Silver, Lead, and Sodium are identified as metals, while Helium, Hydrogen, and Chlorine are non-metals. The experts suggest that Sodium may also be considered a metal and discuss the reasoning behind its lower density compared to other metals. They also suggest that Sodium may be the anomaly in the density comparison.
Hybr!d
Hey Guys. I got this question with these 6 elements in this table

Silver = Metal
Helium = Noble Gas
Hydrogen = Non Metal
Chlorine = Halogen
Lead = Metal
Sodium = Alkali Metal

Now the question says

Which of these are metals?

I answered: Silver, Lead

But I am wondering about Sodium can it be in the answer?

Also another question states:

Comparing the Density of the metals and non metals, Which element represents an anomaly? Why?

Density (g mL^-1)

Silver = 10.5
Helium = 0.00017
Hydrogen = 0.00008
Chlorine = 0.00291
Lead = 11.3
Sodium = 0.97

This question I don't clearly understand and I hope someone can help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
But I am wondering about Sodium can it be in the answer?
Sodium is a metal too.

Comparing the Density of the metals and non metals, Which element represents an anomaly? Why?

Density (g mL^-1)

Silver = 10.5
Helium = 0.00017
Hydrogen = 0.00008
Chlorine = 0.00291
Lead = 11.3
Sodium = 0.97

Metals:
Silver = 10.5
Lead = 11.3
Sodium = 0.97

Non metals:
Helium = 0.00017
Hydrogen = 0.00008
Chlorine = 0.00291

I don't see any anomality. Maybe they want you to answer sodium, but I don't see it as an anomality. It has a lower density than lead and silver because it has less protons and neutrons, which is the same to say mass, per unit of volume. I'm a beginner, I just tried to help. Wait for the experts.

Pponte Yeh I thought Sodium was a metal thanks for that but the last question is really bugging me.

PPonte said:
Metals:
Silver = 10.5
Lead = 11.3
Sodium = 0.97

Non metals:
Helium = 0.00017
Hydrogen = 0.00008
Chlorine = 0.00291

I don't see any anomality. Maybe they want you to answer sodium, but I don't see it as an anomality. It has a lower density than lead and silver because it has less protons and neutrons, which is the same to say mass, per unit of volume. I'm a beginner, I just tried to help. Wait for the experts.

Yes but because it has fewer electrons, protons and neutrons it must also have a smaller volume, which means that logically it's density shouldn't be that far off from the other metals but since it is, it is an anomaly.

Ahh thanks guys you are real champs..

Related to Chemistry Homework Help: Identifying Metals and Anomalous Density in Elements

1. What is the purpose of chemistry homework?

Chemistry homework helps students apply the concepts they have learned in class and develop problem-solving skills. It also reinforces their understanding of key concepts and prepares them for exams.

2. How can I improve my performance in chemistry homework?

To improve your performance, make sure to attend all classes and take thorough notes. Practice regularly and seek help when needed. Use additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials to supplement your learning.

3. Can I use a calculator for chemistry homework?

Yes, a calculator can be a helpful tool for solving mathematical problems in chemistry. However, it is important to also understand the concepts behind the calculations and not rely solely on the calculator.

4. What should I do if I don't understand a chemistry homework problem?

If you are struggling with a particular problem, try breaking it down into smaller parts and identifying which specific concept you are having trouble with. You can also seek help from your teacher or a tutor, or use online resources to clarify your understanding.

5. How important is it to complete chemistry homework?

Completing chemistry homework is essential for academic success in the subject. It allows students to practice and reinforce their understanding of concepts, which is crucial for exams and future courses in chemistry.