What Happens When Lead Tartrate is Heated?

In summary, the conversation was about an experiment involving Lead Tartrate and a lit burner. The result was a black powder that burst into flames and released yellow/green smoke when poured into a plastic container. The individual is seeking clarification on the nature of the black powder and its reaction to oxygen. They were directed to a book for more information.
Blade2point0
Hello,

For my lab I was instructed to weigh out 1 gram of Lead Tartrate (PbC4H4O6)
and place it into a test tube. I was then told to hold the tube over the lit burner until the lead tartrate was completely black and smoke was no longer forming. I was then told to pour the black powder into a plastic container. As soon as it was released from the test tube the black powder burst into flames and released a yellow/green smoke.

I need to know what the black powder was (a pyrophoric version of lead maybe?) and if the reaction to oxygen in the air changed the black powder.

Any help would be wonderful, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is spectacular! Thank you very much.

1. What is Lead Tartrate?

Lead Tartrate is a chemical compound made up of lead and tartaric acid. It is also known as lead(II) tartrate or plumbous tartrate.

2. What are the uses of Lead Tartrate?

Lead Tartrate is commonly used in the production of lead-based paints and varnishes. It is also used in the manufacturing of ceramics, glass, and pigments.

3. Is Lead Tartrate toxic?

Yes, Lead Tartrate is toxic. It is classified as a hazardous substance and can cause serious health effects if ingested or inhaled.

4. How is Lead Tartrate harmful to the environment?

Lead Tartrate can be harmful to the environment if it is released into the air or water. It can contaminate soil and water sources, and can be toxic to plants and animals.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when handling Lead Tartrate?

When handling Lead Tartrate, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a mask to prevent skin contact and inhalation. It should also be stored and disposed of properly according to safety regulations.