What is the amount of Sodium Carbonate in a sample after combustion?

• Thread starter lo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
I'll leave it to you to figure out what <blah1> and <blah2> should be.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a mix of Sodium bicarbonate and Sodium carbonate is burned and the resulting weight is measured. The goal is to calculate the initial weight of Sodium carbonate in the sample. To solve this, the balanced equation for the conversion of carbonate to bicarbonate is used along with their respective molar masses to find a relation between the weights of the two substances.
lo2
Ok we have a mix of Sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) and Sodium carbonate (Na2CO3), we do not know the relation. Then we take a sample of 5 gram. Then we burn that at 300 Celsius for like ten minutes. Then the following reaction will happen:

2NaHCO3 -> Na2CO3 + CO2 + H2O

Then we measure the weight of the sample after we have burned it and we get 3.71 gram. Then we need to calculate many gram Sodium Carbonate we started out with, the number of gram in the samble. And that I do not know how to.

I do hope you can follow if not then please tell me and I will try to make it more understandable.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. This question belongs in the Homework & Coursework subforum.

2. We can not respond to with help unless you first show your work. Please read the posting guidelines for the above forum.

1. Then please feel free to move it. And I am sorry that I did not put it in the right forum.

2. We know that:

m(NaHCO3) + m1(Na2CO3) =5g
and
m3(Na2CO3)=3,71g
and we know
m1(Na2CO3)+m2(Na2CO3)=m3(Na2CO3)

Where:
m1 is what we have got to start with and the one we should find.
m2 is what is produced by the NaHCO3
m3 is what we have got after the reaction we know that one

Now we have to find m1, I just cannot see how.

You have 4 unknowns: m, m1, m2, m3. So you need 4 equations to be able to solve for them. So far, you've got 3 equations...so you need one more.

Using the balanced equation for the conversion of carbonate to bicarbonate (and using their respective molar masses), can you not find a relation between m and m2? This relation will be the required 4th equation.

Alternatively, you could call m1 = x. Then, m = 5 - x. And from your third equation, m2 = 3.71 - x

So you now have everything expressed in terms of one variable: x.

Now if you figure out the last equation (from the stoichiometry), and express that in terms of x as well, you should be able to solve for x.

Thread moved to Homework Help, Other Sciences section.

Gokul43201 said:
Using the balanced equation for the conversion of carbonate to bicarbonate (and using their respective molar masses), can you not find a relation between m and m2? This relation will be the required 4th equation.

That is excactly my problem I cannot find the link between those two, m2 and m.

lo2 said:
That is excactly my problem I cannot find the link between those two, m2 and m.
Try the following steps:

1. Translate the balanced equation to words: "every 2 moles of bicarbonate produces 1 mole of carbonate"

2. Using their molar masses (molecular weights), rewrite that above sentence using weights instead of moles: "every <blah1> grams of bicarbonate produces <blah2> grams of carbonate"

3. Ratio and proportion: Since we know that m grams of bicarbonate produces m2 grams of carbonate, we must have blah1/blah2 = m/m2

That gives you the final equation.

1. What is Sodium Carbonate?

Sodium Carbonate, also known as washing soda, is a chemical compound with the formula Na2CO3. It is a white, odorless, and water-soluble solid that is commonly used in the manufacturing of glass, soap, and paper.

2. How is Sodium Carbonate measured in a sample?

Sodium Carbonate can be measured in a sample through various methods such as titration, gravimetric analysis, or spectroscopy. These methods involve reacting the sample with a known substance and measuring the resulting reaction to determine the amount of Sodium Carbonate present.

3. What is the purpose of measuring the amount of Sodium Carbonate in a sample after combustion?

The amount of Sodium Carbonate in a sample can be an indicator of its purity and can also provide information about the chemical composition of the sample. It is commonly measured after combustion to determine the amount of Sodium Carbonate present in a substance, as it can be lost during the combustion process.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of measuring Sodium Carbonate in a sample after combustion?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of measuring Sodium Carbonate in a sample after combustion, such as the type of combustion method used, the purity of the sample, and the skill of the scientist conducting the measurement. It is important to carefully control these factors to obtain accurate results.

5. How is the amount of Sodium Carbonate in a sample after combustion used in scientific research?

The amount of Sodium Carbonate in a sample after combustion can be used in various scientific research, such as in the study of chemical reactions, environmental analysis, and the development of new products. It can also provide valuable information for quality control and process optimization in industries such as glassmaking and paper manufacturing.