1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chi Square Distribution Problem

1. Mar 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that X has normal distribution. Find the distribution of n(Sample Mean - μ)22.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I honestly have no idea where to begin with this problem. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2015 #2
    Tell us what you know about this problem. It must be homework for something you've been learning in class.

4. Mar 5, 2015 #3
    Well I know that the Sample mean has a normal distribution ~ N(μ,σ2/n), which I think is useful to solve this problem. Now, I am confused about how to use this normal distribution for the sample mean to solve the problem. Any thoughts, using this idea?

5. Mar 5, 2015 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Mar 5, 2015 #5
    Hi LCKurtz,

Thanks for the help. I am wondering where you got this equation from? I know it's the z-score, converting the sample mean into the z-score, but how did you come up with the equation? Thanks.

7. Mar 5, 2015 #6
    Actually I believe I know where this comes from.

the Sum from i=1 to n of Zi2 = the Sum from i=1 to n of ((Xi-μ)/σ)2 = chi square distribution with n degrees of freedom.

8. Mar 5, 2015 #7
    So, would the distribution of this be N(0,n)?

9. Mar 5, 2015 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Now you are confusing me. It is your question asking for the distribution of$$
    \frac {n(\bar X - \mu)^2}{\sigma^2} =\frac{(\bar X - \mu)^2}{(\frac \sigma {\sqrt n})^2}$$
    So if ##Z = \frac{(\bar X - \mu)}{\frac \sigma {\sqrt n}}##, you know ##Z\sim n(0,1)## and your problem is to find the distribution of ##Z^2##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted