Choosing a DC motor for a DIY Centrifugal Blower

In summary, a hair dryer motor fried when I tried to spin it at high speed. I'm looking for a new motor and ideas for what kind of motor to buy.
BowtoEd
I burned out my scavenged motor today and now I think I want to apply a little more thought to moving the project forward.

I'm working on a centrifugal blower that can suck air through a charcoal filter so I can keep the air clean around my soldering area. I chose a tuna can for the housing although my impeller (pictured) barely fits. I think I will need a larger housing.

The motor I was using came from a hair dryer. I don't know the ratings but it seemed well behaved at 13.8v, drawing 65 mA when things settled down. The shaft was roughly the same size as my 5/64" drill bit, so I used that to drill the hole. The rotor wasn't perfectly true but it was close.

Anyway, I glued the blades to my impeller and mounted it on the motor with some hot glue. I let it sit for 15 minutes or so for peace of mind that the glue solidified. Then I fired it up. Fire is correct...the impeller ran and I was impressed with the amount of air it pushed amazed me. Then I noticed smoke coming from the motor body. Then the fire came. I killed power, watched the tiny flames die, and then pulled the housing apart to attempt to let the parts cool.

I was more amazed that, an hour later, the motor still turned when I reassembled it. It ran slower and I could see blue sparks issuing from the area where the commutator is. Being a cautious sorceror, I threw the motor in the trash. Maybe I could've salvaged the wire for an RFC or something.

Anyway, I'm hoping to buy a new motor to replace the failed one. I'm looking for ideas for what kind of motor to buy. I see lots of options for RPM. Somehow I don't think that rotating at 15K RPM is going to work. Maybe I should look in the 1000-2000 range. I'm asking here because I think someone else has been down this road before and I'm going to try to find him/her.

Another option is to build a smaller impeller with lighter material and more clearance between the edges of the tuna can. I like this impeller's strength and air movement but I'm not married to it.

Ed
Impeller.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Balance your impeller. You can do it the same way propellers are balanced for model airplanes.

Motor current demand depends on how much work the motor is doing, but you also want the motor to operate close to it's most efficient rpm. You need to match the motor's Kv rating to the rpm you plan to spin the impeller. That's probably why the hair dry motor fried. Use a Kv value that puts Kv times operating voltage around 25% greater than target rpm.

With DC power you have the option of brushed or brushless motors. You can use an off the shelf speed controller if you want to use brushless. That will make it easy to vary fan speed by supplying a signal to the ESC using a servo tester. Otherwise you can use a brushed motor with a PWM driver to vary speed. Another option would be to just use an EDF assembly (electric ducted fan). A shop like HobbyKing stocks that stuff for low cost.

Small fans typically have to spin a lot more than a couple thousand rpm. Probably more like 10k rpm would be required. Otherwise if you want to operate at low rpm you'll need a motor with an appropriate Kv value otherwise it will just burn up again.

I always say learn from your predecessors.

Try a search on "Fan Laws" for a feel as to speed of a fan versus pressure differential it makes.

Then take apart one of those battery powered "Handy Vac" car cleaner vacuums and study how they did it. I see lots of them in thrift stores.

Beware of home brewed rotors and high speed motors. Centrifugal force is awesome and will embed plastic in walls and spectators.
When i was 13 i put a bronze fan blade on a vacuum cleaner motor that unbeknown to us kids had more than enough power to overspeed it. One piece went nearly a half inch into the solid oak floor, another sliced through a spruce dresser like a sword and the rest we used pliers to pull out of the plaster walls .

It's a wonder anybody survives their teen years.

old jim

Here is my favourite and pocket friendly 12 Blade 64mm EDF.

It sounds muchh much better have a look at the video below

BowtoEd said:
The motor I was using came from a hair dryer. I don't know the ratings but it seemed well behaved at 13.8v, drawing 65 mA when things settled down. The shaft was roughly the same size as my 5/64" drill bit, so I used that to drill the hole. The rotor wasn't perfectly true but it was close.

Anyway, I glued the blades to my impeller and mounted it on the motor with some hot glue. I let it sit for 15 minutes or so for peace of mind that the glue solidified. Then I fired it up. Fire is correct...the impeller ran and I was impressed with the amount of air it pushed amazed me. Then I noticed smoke coming from the motor body. Then the fire came. I killed power, watched the tiny flames die, and then pulled the housing apart to attempt to let the parts cool.
Hmmm. Hair dryers are 120VAC aren't they? So you had a universal motor i think ? They'll run on DC.

Now, you reported 13.8 volts and 0.065 amps which is only 0.9 watt, not enough to burn up much of anything.
So I'm thinking that was running the motor by itself with no blades attached.
When you affix blades and run it , it should slow down.and the current should go up dramatically. Did you make any current measurement while pumping air?

The sparking and slowdown sounds like fried windings.
My guess is that the motor does not move enough cooling air through itself to carry away the heat produced in its windings.
That might be due to reduced speed, or due to your repackaging job with the tuna can no longer forcing air through the motor.

I'd find the heater blower fan motor from an automobile.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a DC motor for my DIY centrifugal blower?

When choosing a DC motor for your DIY centrifugal blower, there are several factors to consider. Firstly, you should consider the required power and speed of your blower. This will determine the motor's torque and RPM specifications. Additionally, you should consider the voltage and current requirements of the motor, as well as its size and weight. Finally, you should also consider the efficiency and durability of the motor.

2. Can I use any DC motor for my DIY centrifugal blower?

No, not all DC motors are suitable for use in a DIY centrifugal blower. It is important to choose a motor that is specifically designed for use in a blower application. This means that the motor should have a high enough torque and RPM rating, as well as the appropriate voltage and current requirements. Using a motor that is not designed for a blower can result in poor performance and potential damage to the motor.

3. How do I determine the required torque and RPM for my DIY centrifugal blower?

The required torque and RPM for your DIY centrifugal blower will depend on the size and design of your blower, as well as the air flow and pressure requirements. Generally, you can calculate the required torque by multiplying the air flow rate (in cubic feet per minute) by the pressure (in inches of water) and dividing by a constant factor of 6.3. The required RPM can then be determined based on the size of the blower wheel and the desired air flow rate.

4. What are the benefits of using a brushless DC motor for my DIY centrifugal blower?

Brushless DC motors are a popular choice for DIY centrifugal blowers due to their high efficiency, low maintenance, and long lifespan. They also provide precise control over the motor speed and direction, making them suitable for a variety of blower applications. Additionally, brushless DC motors have a compact and lightweight design, making them easier to incorporate into your DIY blower project.

5. How can I ensure the longevity of my chosen DC motor for my DIY centrifugal blower?

To ensure the longevity of your chosen DC motor for your DIY centrifugal blower, it is important to properly size the motor for your specific blower application. This means considering the required torque, RPM, voltage, and current, as well as the motor's efficiency and durability. Additionally, regular maintenance and proper usage can extend the lifespan of your motor. It is also recommended to purchase a motor from a reputable supplier with a good track record for quality and reliability.