Choosing subject for grad school

In summary, the conversation was about a graduate student trying to choose between two subjects for their studies: broadband networks and embedded operating systems. The first subject deals with theoretical concepts and optimization in wireless and optical communications, while the second subject involves practical projects and working with Linux in designing embedded operating systems. The student's background is in electrical engineering with a focus on communication and signal processing, and they have taken courses in various related fields. Ultimately, the advice given was to choose the subject that interests them more, rather than focusing on potential job opportunities.
snju
hi all,

i am a graduate student, i need to choose 1 subject from

A>>
Broadband networks:: which is somewhat theoretical and deals with Physics of wireless and optical communications. Broadband multiplexing and switching methods. Blocking and queuing analysis. Network optimization, routing, and economics

B>>
Embedded operating systems which has beagleboard programming projects involved as well, and deals with Investigating Linux source including: memory management, kernel synchronization and driver design topics. Designing, coding, testing, and evaluating embedded operating system software in a Linux environment..

I am an elctrical engineering specializing in communication and signal processing; i have taken the following courses till now:: random signal theory, communication systems, digital communiations, wireless communications.

digital systems and circuits, VLSI design, computer architecture, digital image and video processing.

please give your opinion such that it further improves my profile and knowledge and increases my chances of getting a job.

thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
The question is not our opinions, the question is what is your opinion!

Which one interest you more? Don't study because it is a better field, more jobs. Study the one you like more. Ask yourself what make you tick!

actually both of them interest me...but i can choose only 1...!...

:(

I'll take the first one because I like physics, more theory. Goes in line with what you already took. More on the broad band communication.

@yungman

thank you:)

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a subject for grad school?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a subject for grad school include your interests and passions, job market demand, career goals, potential for research and funding opportunities, and the reputation and resources of the program and university.

2. Is it better to choose a specialized or interdisciplinary subject for grad school?

It depends on your career goals and interests. Specialized subjects may provide in-depth knowledge and expertise in a specific field, while interdisciplinary subjects may offer a broader understanding and diverse skill set. Consider your future career path and choose a subject that aligns with your goals.

3. How do I know which grad school program is the best fit for me?

Research and compare different grad school programs, including their curriculum, faculty, research opportunities, and resources. Consider reaching out to current students or alumni to get their perspective. You can also visit the campus and attend information sessions or open houses to get a feel for the program and university.

4. What should I do if I am interested in multiple subjects for grad school?

If you are torn between multiple subjects, consider taking introductory courses or conducting research in each subject to get a better understanding of your interests and strengths. Talk to professors and advisors for guidance and explore programs that offer dual degrees or allow for flexibility in choosing courses.

5. How important is the reputation of a grad school program in choosing a subject?

The reputation of a grad school program can play a role in job opportunities and networking, but it should not be the sole factor in choosing a subject. It is important to find a program that aligns with your interests, goals, and offers the resources and support you need to succeed. A highly ranked program may not necessarily be the best fit for you.