1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Christmas tree light

1. Mar 1, 2012 #1
    Forgive the sloppy use of math and inability to produce an image. I noticed this last christmas.

If you have a fairy light ( or perhaps any LED etc), and shine it normal to a surface, you see a circle. If you place the light flat on the surface you see a curve - to me the fairy lights' curve looks like a hyperbola.

Does this have any relation to the equation of a circle:
    [tex]x^2+y^2=const.[/tex]
    And Hyperbola:
    [tex]x^2-y^2=const.[/tex]
    And subsitution for 90 degrees rotation? :
    [tex]y\rightarrow iy[/tex]

If so, how does this even work? The experiment is all in real space. If not, is this just sloppy use of math? Any significance?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Livethefire! :smile:

If the light comes out in a cone,

then the shape will be the intersection of a cone with a plane …

in other words, a conic section :wink:

4. Mar 1, 2012 #3
    Ah yes!

But is there any relevance or justified motivation to present such a thing by substituting "iy" in a circular equation?

5. Mar 1, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

not following you :confused:

6. Mar 1, 2012 #5
    What I was saying in post #1 was to sub iy for y in the first equation you get the second. In other words, rotating the axis 90 degrees changes the view from a circle to a hyperbola.

Sometimes i is used as a 90 degree operator, yet I think my reasoning is unsound, thus i am asking here for insight.

7. Mar 1, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

if the cone has semiangle λ along the z-axis, then its equation is

z2 = (x2 + y2)tan2λ,

so a plane z = xtanθ + c cuts it at x2(tan2λ - tan2θ) - 2cxtanθ + y2tan2λ = c2,

which is an ellipse or hyperbola according to whether λ is greater or less than θ

(but i don't see where i comes into it)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook