1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CIRCUIT ANALYSIS: FInd the Thevenin equivalent of the circuit. 2 res - 1 IVS - 1 VCVS

1. Jan 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the Thevenin equivalent at terminals a-b of the circuit below.

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

v = i R, KCL, KVL, [itex]R_{TH}\,=\,\frac{V_{OC}}{I_{OC}}[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

To get [itex]R_{TH}[/itex], I removed the independent voltage source and I added a test voltage of 1V, an unknown test current [itex]I_{OC}[/itex] and two KVL loops.

[​IMG]

[tex]V_0\,=\,-1\,V,\,\,4\,V_0\,=\,-4\,V[/tex] <----- Right?

For KVL Loop 1)

[tex]10000\,I_1\,+\,(1\,V)\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]I_1\,=\,-\frac{1}{10000}\,A\,=\,-0.0001\,A[/tex]

For KVL Loop 2)

[tex](-1\,V)\,+\,20000\,I_2\,+\,4\,V_0\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]I_2\,=\,\frac{5}{20000}\,A\,=\,0.00025\,A[/tex]

KCL at node between two resistors)

[tex]I_1\,+\,I_{OC}\,=\,I_2\,\,\longrightarrow\,\,I_{OC}\,=\,I_2\,-\,I_1[/tex]

[tex]I_{OC}\,=\,(0.00025\,A)\,-\,(-0.0001\,A)\,=\,0.00035\,A[/tex]

Now I use the equation mentioned above for [itex]R_{TH}[/itex] to get the Thevenin equivalent resistance)

[tex]R_{TH}\,=\,\frac{(1\,V)}{0.00035\,A}\,\approx\,2857\Omega[/tex]

Now I need to get the Thevenin equivalent voltage at the terminals a-b. I redrew the circuit to include the 70V independent voltage source and added two node voltages.

[​IMG]

[tex]V_0\,=\,70\,-\,V_1,\,\,V_2\,=\,4\,V_0[/tex] <----- Right?

[tex]V_2\,=\,4\,V_0\,=\,4\,(70\,-\,V_1)\,=\,280\,-\,4\,V_1[/tex]

KVL Loop 1)

[tex](-70\,V)\,+\,V_0\,+\,V_{TH}\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]V_1\,-\,V_{TH}\,=\,70[/tex]

KVL Loop 2)

[tex]-V_{TH}\,+\,V_1\,+\,V_2\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]3\,V_1\,+\,V_{TH}\,=\,280[/tex]

Now I have two equations in two variables and I can solve. I get [itex]V_1\,=\,87.5\,V[/itex] and [itex]V_{TH}\,=\,17.5\,V[/itex]. But wouldn't the Thevenin equivalent voltage include the contributions from both sources? (i.e. - [itex]V_{TH}[/itex] is actually [itex]V_1[/itex], [itex]V_{TH}\,=\,87.5\,V[/itex] and not [itex]V_{TH}\,=\,17.5\,V[/itex])

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2007 #2
    Does the [itex]R_{TH}[/itex] look correct? Shouldn't [itex]V_1[/itex] and [itex]V_{TH}[/itex] be equal?

4. Sep 13, 2008 #3

CEL

Re: CIRCUIT ANALYSIS: Find the Thevenin equivalent of the circuit. 2 res - 1 IVS - 1

In the equation for loop 1 you have made a wrong substitution. You should have
    [tex]V_1\,-\,V_{TH}\,=\,0[/tex]
    instead of
    [tex]V_1\,-\,V_{TH}\,=\,70[/tex]
    Of course this leads to [itex]V_{TH}=V_1[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?