Circuit analysis in series vs. parallel

In summary, The resistors on this circuit are neither in series nor in parallel. This is because the current going through each resistor is not equal and the current flowing into each junction does not equal the current flowing out of each junction. Additionally, Kirchhoff's rules do not apply to this circuit as it does not constitute a loop. To better analyze the circuit, it is suggested to redraw it so that the ends of the resistors on the same node are close to each other. This will help in understanding the relationship between the nodes and junction points.
daviddee305
I need to determine whether the resistors on this circuit are in series or in parallel. Here's my reasoning...

They are not in series because the current going through each resistor is not equal: I1 [tex]\neq[/tex] I4 [tex]\neq[/tex] I5 *

*This is assuming I've assigned current properly which I'm not sure I have. Please tell me if there's a mistake in how I've split the current and how to correct it.

And they are not in parallel because the current flowing into each junction does not equal the current flowing out of each junction, because each junction splits into two currents.

I think I can show this algebraically using Kirchhoff's rules, but I don't how to set up each electric potential because I don't know where each loop begins or ends, or if this circuit even constitutes a loop and Kirchhoff's rules apply.

Please offer some guidance and help me understand how to analyze this properly. I really need to understand if these are in series or in parallel, and why.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org
In the second drawing, notice that some of the nodes with different designations are actually the same node. Redraw the circuit again but this time draw it so the ends of the resistors that are on the same node are close to each other.

I don't know if 'nodes' are the same thing as 'junction points', but I think you're telling me to redraw the circuit like this... is this correct?

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 444
Yes, nodes are the same as junction points and yes that is the way to redraw the circuit.

awesome, thanks for the help... I didn't know you could combine junction points like that... I was trying to make sense of it by manipulating the equations for kirchhoff's rules...

FAQ: Circuit analysis in series vs. parallel

1. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop and the current flows through each component in succession. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches and the current divides among them.

2. Which type of circuit is more commonly used in household wiring?

Parallel circuits are more commonly used in household wiring because they allow for the use of multiple devices on the same circuit without affecting each other's operation.

3. How does the voltage and current change in series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the voltage is divided among the components, resulting in a decrease in voltage across each component. However, the current remains the same throughout the circuit. In a parallel circuit, the voltage remains the same across each branch, but the current is divided among the branches.

4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of series and parallel circuits?

The advantages of a series circuit include the ability to control the current flow and the simplicity of the circuit design. However, the disadvantages include a decrease in voltage and the failure of one component affecting the operation of the entire circuit. The advantages of a parallel circuit include the ability to operate multiple devices simultaneously and the failure of one component not affecting the operation of the others. The disadvantages include the complexity of the circuit design and the possibility of uneven current distribution among branches.

5. How do I calculate the total resistance in a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3... where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances of each branch.

Back