Circuit analysis is this correct?

In summary, the current should be always directed from the right to the left according to the arrow in the left,near E8. Without taking this in consideration I found the current first in R8.
Questions999

Homework Statement

We have the problem in the figure where E1= 9 V,E3= 5 V,E8=-5 V,J5= 3 A,J7=-1 A. R1= 8 Ohm,R2= 6 Ohm,R3= 6 Ohm,R4=7 Ohm, R6= 5 Ohm, R8= 1 ohm.
HA0DfSN.jpg

Homework Equations

I have to find the currents and the potential in the elements using KVL and KCL.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve this,but the problem is the arrow in the left,near E8.Does that mean that the current should be always directed from the right to the left? WITHOUT taking this in consideration I have found the current first in R8.
I8= E8/R8=-5/1= -5 A
In the nod 1
I6+I8=J7
-5+I6=-1 and so I6= 4 A
In the nod 2
I1=E1/R1=9/8 A

I4+I6=I1 so I4+4=9/8 so I4=-23/8 A.

To find R2 I apply KVL in the upper left part of the circuit and I have
R4I4- R2I2+R1I1+E1=0

Remember,I haven't taken in consideration the fact that the direction of the current should always be from right to lef.

Physics news on Phys.org
Elaia06 said:

Homework Statement

We have the problem in the figure where E1= 9 V,E3= 5 V,E8=-5 V,J5= 3 A,J7=-1 A. R1= 8 Ohm,R2= 6 Ohm,R3= 6 Ohm,R4=7 Ohm, R6= 5 Ohm, R8= 1 ohm.
HA0DfSN.jpg

Homework Equations

I have to find the currents and the potential in the elements using KVL and KCL.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve this,but the problem is the arrow in the left,near E8.Does that mean that the current should be always directed from the right to the left?
I don't see an arrow to the left of E8. I see a vertically oriented arrow above and to the right of E8. Is this the one you mean? This arrow is not labelled in any way so its meaning is unknown. Does the original problem statement refer to it?

If the problem doesn't specify assumed current directions and potential polarities for the individual resistors and current supplies then perhaps they just want magnitudes for results. Or are you to answer by filling in the values on the diagram?
WITHOUT taking this in consideration I have found the current first in R8.
I8= E8/R8=-5/1= -5 A
How do you justify the above expression?

They just want the magnitude.:)
I have found the current running through the resistor R8, by using the Ohm Law..

Elaia06 said:
They just want the magnitude.:)
I have found the current running through the resistor R8, by using the Ohm Law..

Okay then, how do you justify using E8 as the potential across R8?

Elaia06 said:
Remember,I haven't taken in consideration the fact that the direction of the current should always be from right to left.

Uh ... say what?

you are right gneill I can't justify it :/

Elaia06 said:
you are right gneill I can't justify it :/

So, it looks as though you'll have to write and solve a set of equations for the circuit. Nodal analysis looks promising...

No I have to solve this with KVL and KCL...

but still,give me a hint for nodal analysis?

*please

Elaia06 said:
No I have to solve this with KVL and KCL...

Nodal analysis is an application of KVL and KCL. It's just a formalized way of applying them. Have you learned nodal analysis yet? If not, fall back to direct application of KVL and KCL; Label the currents and write KCL at the nodes and KVL around the loops. You could also think about using superposition, solving for the voltages and currents for each source independently, then summing the results.

I have learned nodal analysis yes,and thank you..

I solved this with KCL and KVL and I got I2 = 1 A,I4=3 A and so on..am I right?

Elaia06 said:
I solved this with KCL and KVL and I got I2 = 1 A,I4=3 A and so on..am I right?

It's very difficult to evaluate "and so on", but your values for I2 and I4 don't look right. You'll have to show your work.

Let's call the nod on the left 4 and the one in the middle 5. I write KCL for each node.So I have for the node 5 : I4+J7+I2=I5 and so I4+I2= 4 A. For the node1 I have J7+I6=I8.So I8-I6=-1 A. and for the node 4 I have J5+I3=I8 and so 3+ I3=I8. For the node 3 I have I1=I2+I3. And for the node 2 I have I1+I4=I6.

For the loop in the left,on the top I have the KVL
R4I4-R2I2-R1I1+9=0
R4(4-I2)-R2I2-R1(I2+I3)=-9
NOTE : I noticed that during my calculations I forgot to put 9 and I just wrote R4(4-I2)-R2I2-R1(I2+I3)=0..
anyway I will continue so I can know if my way is correct.
Here I find I3 in terms of I2 and also I1 in terms of I2.
Then I have I4=4-I2 but I4 also =I6-I1 . so I have 4-I2=I6-I1.(1)
I also have I8=I6-1 and I8=3 +I3.Here I have I6=I1+I3+3. I replace this In (1) and so I find I2 and on...

You should take your diagram and pencil-in all the component values, label all the nodes (some are already there), and pencil-in all the currents with their assumed directions. It's important to do this in order to be consistent with the signs of currents when you write the KCL equations; a given current will flow OUT of one node and INTO another. As it stands I can't tell what directions are assumed for your currents.

If you apply the classic nodal analysis technique you get to choose one node as a reference node and only have to write equations for the remaining nodes (in this case there will be 4 such nodes, so 4 equations will be required to solve for the 4 unknown node voltages).

Elaia06 said:
Here you have the direction of the nodes,according to which I have solved this :

http://i.imgur.com/8C2ewkM.jpg

Okay, so it looks like you've got a method and a plan that should work for you, if you can sort out all the equations!

I have already solved this but I still get weird numbers :/ Anyway thank you!

Related to Circuit analysis is this correct?

1. What is circuit analysis?

Circuit analysis is the process of studying and understanding the behavior of electrical circuits. It involves using mathematical tools and techniques to analyze the flow of electricity through a circuit and determine various parameters such as current, voltage, and resistance.

2. Why is circuit analysis important?

Circuit analysis is important because it allows us to design, troubleshoot, and optimize electrical circuits for various applications. It helps us understand the functioning of electronic devices and ensures the safe and efficient operation of electrical systems.

3. What are the different methods of circuit analysis?

There are several methods of circuit analysis, including Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, nodal analysis, mesh analysis, and superposition. Each method has its own advantages and is used depending on the complexity and type of circuit being analyzed.

4. How do you verify if a circuit analysis is correct?

To verify if a circuit analysis is correct, we can use simulation software or build the circuit and measure the various parameters using instruments. We can also perform hand calculations and compare them with the simulation or measured results.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in circuit analysis?

Some common mistakes to avoid in circuit analysis include incorrect application of mathematical formulas, forgetting to include all components in the circuit, and incorrect assumptions about the behavior of components. It is also important to double-check calculations and consider all possible scenarios in the circuit.