What is the relationship between back EMF and rotor frequency in a motor?

• Thread starter maccha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emf
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of back emf in a motor connected to a 12 V dc supply. The solution involves using Ohm's law to find the armature winding resistance and then calculating the effective voltage driving the armature at full speed. Subtracting the effective voltage from the applied voltage yields the back emf voltage. It is important to note that the back emf is proportional to the rotor frequency in this scenario.
maccha
I realize this is probably a very simple question, but for some reason I'm getting very confused.

Homework Statement

A motor is connected to a 12 V dc supply and draws 5.0 A when it first starts. What will be the back emf when the motor is operating at full speed and drawing 1.2 A?

Homework Equations

R=V/I

Source voltage= IR + Back EMF

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize you just have to use Ohm's law and solve for resistance, and then plug in that resistance and current and source voltage into the second equation and solve for Back EMF. What I'm confused about is which current I plug in where. I think I would plug in the initial current (5.0 A) to solve for resistance and then use the second curren (1.2 A) in the second formula to find back EMF, but I'm not completely sure as to why, so I would really appreciate an explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning is correct, because when the coil rotates at full speed, it produces back emf which is in the opposite direction to the source voltage. Hence there is a decrease in the current. The resistance of the coil does not change.

It's confusing because it's called 'back EMF'.

A motor consist of a coil and a magnetic field. when you connect a dc source, the coil experiences a force due to which it starts rotating. As the speed of rotation increases, change in flux in the coil will induce an emf which will try to slow down the speed. Due to this emf the effective emf across the coil will be reduced and hence the current will decrease.

maccha said:
I realize this is probably a very simple question, but for some reason I'm getting very confused.

Homework Statement

A motor is connected to a 12 V dc supply and draws 5.0 A when it first starts. What will be the back emf when the motor is operating at full speed and drawing 1.2 A?

Homework Equations

R=V/I

Source voltage= IR + Back EMF

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize you just have to use Ohm's law and solve for resistance, and then plug in that resistance and current and source voltage into the second equation and solve for Back EMF. What I'm confused about is which current I plug in where. I think I would plug in the initial current (5.0 A) to solve for resistance and then use the second curren (1.2 A) in the second formula to find back EMF, but I'm not completely sure as to why, so I would really appreciate an explanation.

I’ll assume that you’re likely referring to a commonplace PMDC (Permanent Magnet Direct Current) motor.

First, divide the applied 12 volts by the initial “start-up” current (5 amps). This yields the armature’s winding resistance. “Start-up current” (also referred to as “stall current”) is the current drawn by the armature windings while the armature is completely motionless. On small motors, they can easily be held motionless for a couple seconds, just long enough to get a reading from the current meter.

Note: Don’t hold the armature motionless for any more than a few seconds or your could overheat the winding insulation and render the motor useless. Keep in mind that 12 volts x 5 amps = 60 watts, so a motionless armature begins to heat up fairly quickly.

R = E / I, yields the resistance of the windings in the armature, so:

12 volts applied / 5 amps = 2.4 ohms (armature winding resistance)

To calculate back emf:

Find the effective voltage that’s actually driving the armature at full speed. This is accomplished by multiplying the 1.2 amps that you measured (or were given) at full speed by the armature resistance of 2.4 ohms (1.2 amps x 2.4 ohms = 2.88 volts of effective voltage). You now subtract the effective voltage of 2.88 volts from the 12 volts applied (12 volts – 2.88 volts = 9.12 volts of back emf voltage is present).

Missing among the "know data" is the fact that the so called back emf is proportional to rotor frequency. Without this datum, R cannot be solved.

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop or path through which electric current can flow. It consists of various components such as wires, resistors, capacitors, and inductors, connected by conductive pathways.

2. What is EMF in a circuit?

EMF stands for electromotive force, which is the potential difference between two points in a circuit that causes the flow of current. It is measured in volts and can be generated by batteries, generators, or other sources of electrical energy.

3. What is back EMF in a circuit?

Back EMF, also known as counter electromotive force, is an opposing voltage that is created when the flow of current in a circuit is interrupted or stopped. It is produced as a result of the inductance of the circuit and can cause a voltage spike when a switch is opened or a motor is turned off.

4. How does back EMF affect a circuit?

Back EMF can affect a circuit in a few ways. It can cause voltage spikes that can damage sensitive components, such as transistors, if not properly managed. It can also affect the performance and efficiency of motors, as it creates a resistance that opposes the flow of current and reduces the motor's speed.

5. How can back EMF be controlled in a circuit?

Back EMF can be controlled by using diodes, which allow current to flow in one direction and block it in the other. Diodes can be placed in the circuit to absorb and dissipate the back EMF, protecting other components. Additionally, using snubber circuits or adding capacitors can also help manage back EMF in a circuit.