How Do You Calculate Current in a Half-Full Gasoline Gauge?

• Thread starter potato987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with an automobile gasoline gauge and the resistance values of the indicator and tank unit. The task is to find the current when the tank is half-full. The solution involves creating a chart to determine the resistance value at half-full.
potato987
could anyone help me with this problem?

Homework Statement

An automobile gasoline gauge is shown schematically in Figure 27-61. The indicator (on the dashboard) has a resistance of 10 . The tank unit is a float connected to a variable resistor whose resistance varies linearly with the volume of gasoline. The resistance is 200 when the tank is empty and 30 when the tank is full.

*Find the current when the tank is half-full*

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

the current when the tank is empty is 12=I*200. so i multiplied that by two to get the answer but it was incorrect. i also tried to plug 15 into the equation since it's half of thirty but that too was wrong

Attachments

• hrw7_27-61.gif
    hrw7_27-61.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First let's make a little chart to describe the variable resistor:

200 ohms ... tank empty
? ohms ... tank half-full
30 ohms ... tank full

What number should I replace those question marks with?

Dear student,

I can assist you with this problem. It seems like you are on the right track by using the equation V=IR. However, there are a few things to consider when solving this circuit indicator problem.

First, we need to determine the total resistance in the circuit. This includes the 10 ohm resistance of the indicator and the variable resistance of the tank unit. Since the tank is half-full, we can assume that the resistance is halfway between 200 ohms and 30 ohms, which would be 115 ohms. Therefore, the total resistance is 125 ohms (10 ohms + 115 ohms).

Next, we can use Ohm's law (V=IR) to solve for the current. We know that the voltage supplied by the battery is 12V, so we can plug that into the equation:

12V = I * 125 ohms

Solving for I, we get I= 12V/125 ohms = 0.096 A or 96 mA. This is the current when the tank is half-full.

I hope this helps you understand the problem better. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

Best,

Scientist

Related to How Do You Calculate Current in a Half-Full Gasoline Gauge?

1. What is a circuit indicator problem?

A circuit indicator problem is a technical issue in which a circuit is not functioning properly, causing a disruption in the flow of electricity. This can occur due to various factors such as faulty wiring, damaged components, or incorrect connections.

2. How do I identify a circuit indicator problem?

One way to identify a circuit indicator problem is to use a multimeter to test the circuit for continuity and voltage. If there is no continuity or voltage, it could indicate that there is an issue with the circuit. Additionally, visual inspection of the circuit and its components may also help to identify any obvious problems.

3. What are some common causes of a circuit indicator problem?

Some common causes of a circuit indicator problem include faulty wiring, damaged components such as resistors or capacitors, incorrect connections, and power surges. Environmental factors such as moisture or extreme temperatures can also contribute to circuit issues.

4. How can I troubleshoot a circuit indicator problem?

To troubleshoot a circuit indicator problem, you can start by checking the power source and making sure it is functioning correctly. You can also visually inspect the circuit and its components for any visible damage. Using a multimeter to test for continuity and voltage can also help identify the issue. If the problem persists, it may be necessary to replace damaged components or seek professional help.

5. What are some ways to prevent a circuit indicator problem?

To prevent a circuit indicator problem, it is important to ensure that all wiring and connections are done correctly and securely. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and address any potential issues before they become bigger problems. Using surge protectors and keeping the circuitry away from moisture or extreme temperatures can also help prevent circuit problems.