Circuit Problem involving resistors and a switch

In summary: V/(1.8A*3.68V)=1.944 Ω.OK, so how about you write an equation relating that 3.5V with the current of 1.8A, the battery voltage E and the unknown resistor r?Then, do you have 2 equations with 2 unknowns (r and R)?Yes, I do. The equations would look something like this: Vtotal=I*Req+E*R
yaro99

Homework Statement

When switch S in the figure below is open, the voltmeter V of the battery reads 3.68 V. When the switch is closed, the voltmeter reading drops to 3.50 V, and the ammeter A reads 1.80 A. Assume that the two meters are ideal, so they don't affect the circuit.

Find the emf of the battery.

Find the internal resistance of the battery.

Find the circuit resistance R.

26-29.gif

Homework Equations

V=IR
Resistors in series: Req=R1+R2+R3...

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the emf of the battery to be 3.68 V, because it is the only voltage source being read by the voltmeter when the switch is open.

I am not sure how to find the resistance.
I have come up with this:
Req = r + R
Vtotal = I*Req ==> Req = Vtotal/I = 3.5/1.8 = 1.944 Ω

1.944 = r + R

I am not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
yaro99 said:
I found the emf of the battery to be 3.68 V, because it is the only voltage source being read by the voltmeter when the switch is open.

Right.
I am not sure how to find the resistance.
I have come up with this:
Req = r + R
Vtotal = I*Req ==> Req = Vtotal/I = 3.5/1.8 = 1.944 Ω

1.944 = r + R

I am not sure where to go from here.

What's the voltage read by the voltmeter after the switch is closed?

rude man said:
Right.

What's the voltage read by the voltmeter after the switch is closed?

It will be 3.5 V according to the problem, which I tried using in my calculations. I'm still confused.

yaro99 said:
It will be 3.5 V according to the problem, which I tried using in my calculations. I'm still confused.

OK, so how about you write an equation relating that 3.5V with the current of 1.8A, the battery voltage E and the unknown resistor r?

Then, do you have 2 equations with 2 unknowns (r and R)?

The emf of the battery is 3.68 V. If you could connect the voltmeter to the right of r it would still read that when current is flowing. But connected to the left there is a voltage drop across r. How much is it?

When you know that, since you know the current through r, you can calculate r.

You will also know the voltage drop across R, the current is the same and known so you can calculate R.

1. How do I calculate the total resistance in a circuit with multiple resistors?

The total resistance in a circuit with multiple resistors can be calculated using the formula R = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... + Rn, where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances. Simply add up all the resistances to find the total resistance.

2. How do I calculate the current in a circuit with resistors and a switch?

To calculate the current in a circuit with resistors and a switch, you can use Ohm's law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). So, I = V/R. Make sure to use the total resistance in the circuit.

3. What happens to the current in a circuit when the switch is open?

When the switch in a circuit is open, the circuit is broken and no current can flow. This is because the switch acts as a gap in the circuit, preventing the flow of electricity.

4. How do I calculate the voltage drop across a resistor in a circuit?

The voltage drop across a resistor in a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). So, V = I x R. Make sure to use the current flowing through the resistor and its individual resistance.

5. Can I use different types of resistors in the same circuit?

Yes, you can use different types of resistors in the same circuit. However, make sure to calculate the total resistance using the formula R = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... + Rn to ensure that the circuit is functioning properly. Also, be aware of the power ratings of the resistors to avoid overloading the circuit.