Solving Star Resistor Configuration Problem

In summary, ehild is confused about the equivalent resistor for a star-shaped circuit. She has attached an image that shows the layout of the circuit, and she is trying to calculate the parallel resultant of the four resistors. She has correctly calculated the value of the parallel resultant, but she is confused about why the value is incorrect.
Genericcoder
Hi I am little confused by star resistors configuration. The problem is asking for equivalent resistor for the circuit. I have attached the image below (Image is little sloppy because I can't draw with a mouse :D).

My logic is as follows:

First I calculated R1 and R2 as parallel resistors.

Req1 = (1/R2 + 1/R1)^-1
Req1 = 11.25;

Then I calculated that value in series with 4.5 resistor.

Req2 = 11.25 + 4.5 = 15.75;

Since, Req2 is parrallel with R4 then they should also add reciprocally.

Rt = (1/R4 + 1/Req2)^-1 = 6.81;

This value is wrong though I don't know what I did wrong.

Thanks for help in advance.

Attachments

• Circuit.JPG
    Circuit.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 363
Physics news on Phys.org
Which resistors are R1 and R2?

ehild

Sorry for the confusion I accidently uploaded the image that doesn't contains the name of the each resistor.

Anyway they are as follows:

R1 = 18 OHM
R2 = 30 OHM
R3 = 4.5 OHM
R4 = 12 OHMThanks.

The 18Ω and 30Ω resistors are not parallel. Calculate the parallel resultant of the 12Ω and 30Ω ones.

ehild

I see but how can I know if they are parallel or not ? If they this star shape ? The way I analyzed this shape is first taking following charge from Positive terminal then when it goes to junction that has R2 and R1 I thought then one charge would go one way while other goes the other way.

Thanks.

I believe the equivalent circuit where the way resistors are connected is clearly seen is this one:

http://s14.postimage.org/kr0641tip/equivalent.png

I see that makes sense thanks :).

Don't let slanted components and wires fool you :smile: If there's an unbroken wired connection between points they all comprise the same node. Feel free to rearrange the drawing so long as the same connections are maintained:

attachment.php?attachmentid=46110&stc=1&d=1334149935.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 466
I see thanks a lot gneil its easier to draw it in this configuration better than delta configuration. That statement about continuous made me understand the logic a lot because when my book solves questions like this it assumes u already know how to change from configuration to configuration without understanding the process.

I think it also helps to imagine a real battery connected to it with a real wires and see the situation that comes from these connections. Helped me to think about that way.

1. What is a star resistor configuration problem?

A star resistor configuration problem is a type of circuit analysis problem where the goal is to determine the equivalent resistance of a circuit with multiple resistors arranged in a star or "Y" shape.

2. How do I solve a star resistor configuration problem?

The most common method for solving a star resistor configuration problem is to use the "Y-Delta" transformation, which allows the resistors to be rearranged into a simpler circuit that is easier to analyze.

3. What is the purpose of solving a star resistor configuration problem?

The main purpose of solving a star resistor configuration problem is to determine the equivalent resistance of a circuit, which can then be used in other calculations to analyze the performance of the circuit.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a star resistor configuration problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a star resistor configuration problem include forgetting to apply the Y-Delta transformation, incorrectly combining resistors in parallel or series, and not properly labeling the equivalent resistance in the final circuit.

5. Are there any online tools or software available for solving star resistor configuration problems?

Yes, there are many online tools and software programs that can help with solving star resistor configuration problems. These tools often provide step-by-step instructions and can save time and prevent errors in the calculation process.