Circuits: Bode Plot for Frequency vs. Voltage Gain | Homework Help Statement

In summary, the conversation discusses sketching a bode plot for frequency versus voltage gain (in decibels) of a lowpass filter with a pole and zero. The voltage gain equation is A_V = \frac{R_2 + \frac{1}{jwc}}{R_1 + R_2 + \frac{1}{jwc}} and the bode plot is calculated by finding the break points, setting the jwC term equal to 1, and solving for the frequency ratio. The resulting bode plot will have a low-frequency gain of 1 and a high-frequency gain determined by the resistor divider ratio.
Number2Pencil

Homework Statement

sketch a bode plot of frequency versus voltage gain (in decibels) for the following circuit:

bodeplot1.jpg

Homework Equations

Voltage divider: [tex]V_X = V_S \frac{Z_X}{Z_T}[/tex]
Voltage gain: [tex]A_V = \frac{V_O}{V_I}[/tex]
log(A)+log(B) = log(A*B)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the most complex one I've done up to date, which really just says I'm trying to get a grasp on how to do it. I did all my work following a similar example I've seen done (it's the only example with 3 elements I've seen, thus far)

Step 1: Write voltage gain equation:

[tex]A_V = \frac{R_2 + \frac{1}{jwc}}{R_1 + R_2 + \frac{1}{jwc}}[/tex]

Step 2: Get into "standard form" (1 divided by 1 plus something according to my prof.)

I factored out a 1/jwC out of top and bottom, then split the numerator out of the fraction:

[tex] (1 + jwCR_2)*(\frac{1}{1+jwC(R_1 + R_2)}[/tex]

These two factors will be my "A" and "B", which I will solve find the bode plots for individually then add them together to get the overall bode plot. log(A) + log(B) = log(A*B)

step 3:

This is where I get confused when doing these. My professor always takes the jwC term (and anything connected to it), sets it equal to one, and solves omega, now calling it the "break point", then plugs this back into the equation to get a "frequency ratio". It's usually labeled [tex]W_C[/tex] but in this case there would be a [tex]W_1[/tex] and [tex]W_2[/tex]; one for each factor. I know how to get one for the 2nd term (B)

For the 2nd term:

[tex]W_2C(R_1 + R_2) = 1[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{W_2} = C(R_1 + R_2)[/tex]

which I can substitute back into the equation to give me:

[tex]\frac{1}{1+ \frac{jW}{W_2}}[/tex]

As for the 1st term, I'm not sure what to set equal to one. I tried just setting the [tex]jWCR_2[/tex] term equal to one, and in the end I got a +20dB at higher frequencies for the total response...and this seems wrong since all the elements are passive. In the example I've seen, there was only a jWCR2 term without the plus one, and it's throwing me off

Can anyone offer any advice?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a lowpass filter with a pole and a zero. The low-frequency gain is 1 when the capacitor is an open circuit, and the high frequency gain is the resistor divider ratio when the cap is a short. You will have a pole where the cap and input resistor have equivalent impedances, and you will have a zero where the cap and lower resistor have equivalent impedances. Does that help? Draw the resulting Bode plot, and work backwards through the math...

I would advise you to carefully review your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy. You can also double check your work by using a circuit simulator or checking with a classmate or professor for confirmation. Additionally, it may be helpful to break down the circuit into smaller sections and analyze each section separately before combining them to get the overall bode plot. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is a Bode plot and why is it used in circuit analysis?

A Bode plot is a graph that represents the frequency response of a circuit. It shows how a circuit responds to different input frequencies and helps to analyze the stability, gain, and phase shift of the circuit. It is commonly used in circuit analysis because it provides a visual representation of the circuit's behavior, making it easier to understand and troubleshoot.

2. How do I interpret a Bode plot?

A Bode plot consists of two graphs, one for magnitude (gain) and one for phase shift. The x-axis shows the frequency in logarithmic scale while the y-axis represents the magnitude in decibels and the phase shift in degrees. The plot can be interpreted by looking at the frequency at which the magnitude and phase shift are at their maximum or minimum values. The slope of the magnitude graph also indicates the number of poles and zeros in the circuit, providing information about the circuit's stability.

3. What is the difference between a Bode plot and a Nyquist plot?

Both Bode plot and Nyquist plot are used to analyze the frequency response of a circuit. However, a Bode plot shows the magnitude and phase shift of the circuit while a Nyquist plot shows the gain and phase shift in polar coordinates. In other words, a Bode plot is a plot of the transfer function while a Nyquist plot is a plot of the frequency response of a system.

4. How can I use Bode plots to design and optimize a circuit?

Bode plots can be used to design and optimize a circuit by providing information about the circuit's stability and frequency response. By analyzing the plot, one can determine the necessary components and values needed for the circuit to function correctly. Bode plots can also be used to identify and eliminate unwanted frequencies or to improve the overall performance of the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to using Bode plots in circuit analysis?

While Bode plots are useful tools for circuit analysis, they do have some limitations. They assume linear behavior of the circuit, which may not always be the case. Bode plots also do not take into account parasitic elements and non-linear components, which can affect the accuracy of the analysis. Additionally, Bode plots cannot predict the behavior of a circuit at frequencies outside the range of the plot.