Finding Vy in a Circuit with Dependent Sources

In summary, the circuit shown in the attached figure was solved using Ohm's law and resistance calculations for parallel and series circuits. The value of Vy was determined to be 3.2 V by finding the current and voltage drop across the 2 Ω resistor. No intermediate steps were necessary.
maximade

Homework Statement

Determine Vy in the circuit of the below figure:
(In attachment)

Homework Equations

ohms law
resistance adding equations for parallel and series

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found Vx=(1.2A)(5ohms) = 6v
Afterwards I computed the current supplier: (6)(0.1)=0.6 A
Then I added the resistance of the parallel resistors and got 1.667 ohms
Then found the voltage drop across it using the 1.2 A and get 2 v.
Seeing how the parallel resistors share the same voltage, I computed the supposed current for each (without the dependent current supply) and get 1 A for the 2 ohm resistor.
Then I added the 1 A to the 0.6 A from before, and then applied ohms law (1.6 A)(2 ohms) to get 3.2.

This is my first time doing a problem regarding dependent sources, please let me know if I am missing any steps or using too many steps.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Untitled.pdf
    13.8 KB · Views: 555
Physics news on Phys.org
maximade said:

Homework Statement

Determine Vy in the circuit of the below figure:
(In attachment)

Homework Equations

ohms law
resistance adding equations for parallel and series

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found Vx=(1.2A)(5ohms) = 6v
Afterwards I computed the current supplier: (6)(0.1)=0.6 A
Then I added the resistance of the parallel resistors and got 1.667 ohms
Then found the voltage drop across it using the 1.2 A and get 2 v.
Seeing how the parallel resistors share the same voltage, I computed the supposed current for each (without the dependent current supply) and get 1 A for the 2 ohm resistor.
Then I added the 1 A to the 0.6 A from before, and then applied ohms law (1.6 A)(2 ohms) to get 3.2.

This is my first time doing a problem regarding dependent sources, please let me know if I am missing any steps or using too many steps.

Thanks.

For some reason I'm not able to open the PDF file -- it says it is damaged or has other problems. Can you try uploading it again?

I made it on paint, here's a PNG file.

Sorry for the repost, but i don't think ti got though on my last reply. Here's the JPEG*

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 403
One you know the current I then the potential drop across the 2 Ω resistor should be trivial by Ohm's law. You don't need any intermediate steps with parallel resistance calculations or anything else.

1. What are dependent sources in circuits?

Dependent sources in circuits are elements that are controlled by other circuit variables, such as voltage or current. They can either be voltage-controlled or current-controlled, and their values are determined by the values of the controlling variables.

2. What is the difference between voltage-controlled and current-controlled dependent sources?

Voltage-controlled dependent sources have their output voltage controlled by the input voltage from a separate circuit element. Current-controlled dependent sources have their output current controlled by the input current from a separate circuit element. In other words, voltage-controlled sources have a voltage input and a voltage output, while current-controlled sources have a current input and a current output.

3. How do you represent dependent sources in a circuit diagram?

Dependent sources are typically represented by specific symbols, such as diamond-shaped symbols for voltage-controlled sources and circle-shaped symbols for current-controlled sources. They are usually labeled with a letter or symbol to indicate the controlling variable, such as V for voltage and I for current.

4. Can you have more than one dependent source in a circuit?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple dependent sources in a circuit. However, it is important to ensure that the controlling variables are not dependent on each other, otherwise the circuit may become unstable.

5. What are some common applications of dependent sources in circuits?

Dependent sources are commonly used in circuit analysis and design, as they allow for more complex and versatile circuits. They are also used in electronic devices, such as amplifiers, filters, and oscillators.