Circular motion bug on tire

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of various values related to a commercial jet's takeoff, including the revolutions per minute of the tires, the centripetal acceleration at the edge of the tire, the force needed for a bacterium to cling to the rim, and the ratio of this force to the bacterium's weight. The formulas used include angular velocity and centripetal acceleration. The important distinction is made between angular velocity and revolutions per minute. The conversation concludes with the understanding that the centripetal force is equal to the centripetal acceleration multiplied by the mass of the bacterium.
mkwiatko

Homework Statement

At takeoff, a commercial jet has a speed of 60.0 m/s. Its tires have a diameter of
0.850 m.
(a) At how many rpm are the tires rotating?
(b) What is the centripetal acceleration at the edge of the tire?
(c) With what force must a determined 10-15 kg bacterium cling to the rim?
(d) What is the ratio of this force to the bacterium’s weight?

Homework Equations

angular velocity = v/r
centripetal acceleration = v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided 60.0 m/s by .425 m to get (a). To get (b) I squared 60.0 m/s and divided it by .425 m. I am really stuck on (c). I am thinking the force it needs to cling to the rim is equal to the centripetal force. So, does that mean I just multiple it's mass by the centripetal acceleration? Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take care with the answer to (a). v/r is the angular velocity, not the revolutions per minute, rpm.
(c): you are right, the centripetal force is centripetal acceleration multiplied by the mass and that force is needed to move together with the tyre.

ehild

1. What causes the circular motion bug on tire?

The circular motion bug on tire is caused by the bug's natural instinct to move in a circular pattern. As the tire rotates, the bug's body remains in a fixed position due to inertia, causing it to move in a circular motion.

2. How does the bug stay on the tire without falling off?

The bug has small claws that grip onto the surface of the tire, allowing it to stay in place while the tire rotates. Additionally, the bug's body is positioned in a way that helps it maintain its balance and stay attached to the tire.

3. Can the bug survive on the rotating tire?

Yes, the bug is able to survive on the rotating tire due to its ability to adapt to changing environments. The bug is also able to hold onto the tire tightly enough to prevent itself from falling off.

4. Does the size of the tire affect the bug's circular motion?

The size of the tire does not significantly affect the bug's circular motion. As long as the bug is able to grip onto the surface of the tire and maintain its balance, it will continue to move in a circular pattern regardless of the tire's size.

5. What happens to the bug when the tire stops rotating?

When the tire stops rotating, the bug will either crawl off or hold onto the tire until it starts moving again. If the bug is unable to hold on, it may fall off and find its way back onto the tire or onto another surface.