Circular Motion: Centripetal Force Comparison Between Andy and Bella

In summary, Andy and Bella, who are moving in circular paths with the same constant angular velocity, experience the same magnitude of centripetal force. However, upon further analysis, it is found that Bella's mass is half that of Andy's and the distance from the center is half that of Andy's as well. This results in a ratio of 4 for the forces, indicating that Andy will experience a greater magnitude of centripetal force. It seems that the given answer is incorrect and there may be a problem with the method used.
dekoi
Andy and Bella move in circular paths about a common point with the same constant angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex]. Bella's mass is half the mass of Andy. The distance, where Andy is from the centre of the circle, is twice the distance of Bella. Who of the two will experience the greater magnitude of the centripetal force, [tex]F_c[/tex]?

The answer given is that they will experience the SAME force. However, I found otherwise.

Since [tex]F_c=m\omega^2R[/tex]

[tex]F_a=m_a\omega^2R_a[/tex] and [tex]F_b=m_b\omega^2R_b[/tex]

The ratios I obtained were: [tex]m_b=\frac{m_a}{2}[/tex] and [tex]R_b=\frac{R_a}{2}[/tex].

When I find the ratio, I get:
[tex]\frac{F_a}{F_b}=\frac{m_a\omega^2R_a}{m_b\omega^2R_b}=\frac{m_aR_a}{\frac{m_a}{2}\frac{R_a}{2}}[/tex]

My end result will be the value, 4, which is not 1, which I am looking for in order for the forces to be equal.

Is there a problem with my method, or is the answer given the wrong answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your analysis. The answer is wrong. (Or someone messed up the problem statement.)

Thank you.

Related to Circular Motion: Centripetal Force Comparison Between Andy and Bella

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circular path around a fixed point, also known as the center of rotation.

2. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of rotation. It is responsible for keeping the object in circular motion.

3. How does centripetal force differ from regular force?

Centripetal force is a specific type of force that is always directed towards the center of rotation, while regular force can act in any direction. Additionally, centripetal force is required for circular motion, whereas regular force can be present in any type of motion.

4. How is centripetal force compared between Andy and Bella?

The comparison between centripetal force experienced by Andy and Bella depends on factors such as their mass, velocity, and the radius of their circular path. The formula for centripetal force is Fc = mv²/r, where m is the mass, v is the velocity, and r is the radius. Therefore, the force experienced by Andy and Bella will be different if these factors are not equal.

5. How does centripetal force affect circular motion?

Centripetal force is necessary for circular motion as it constantly acts towards the center of rotation, keeping the object in its circular path. Without centripetal force, the object would continue to move in a straight line tangent to the circle.