Circular Motion - Pendulum Question .HELP

In summary, the conversation is about a pendulum question where the pendulum is 80.0 cm long and the bob is pulled to a height of 20.0 cm before being released. The question asks for the speed and tension of the bob at its lowest position. The answer to (a) is 1.98 m/s and the answer to (b) is 0.735 N. The person is asking for help and formulas to solve the problem. They are also seeking guidance on what unit they are currently learning.
Goalie1
Circular Motion - Pendulum Question...HELP!

1. A pendulum 80.0 cm long is pulled to the side, so that its bob is raised 20.0 cm from its lowest position, and is then released. As the 50.0 g bob moves through its lowest position, (a) what is its speed and (b) what is the tension in the pedulum cord?

2.(a) what is its speed and (b) what is the tension in the pedulum cord?

3. Ans. (a) 1.98 m/s (b) 0.735 N
I think it is a two part question but I am drawing a total blank and can't figure out how to do this problem.
PLEASE HELP!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Can somebody please point me in the right direction...If someone can just give me the formulas I should be able to figure it out from there.

Try and think about this a bit more... What unit are you learning right now? That should give a clue on what to do.

Last edited:

Related to Circular Motion - Pendulum Question .HELP

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that can freely swing back and forth under the influence of gravity.

2. How does a pendulum move?

A pendulum moves in a circular motion, swinging back and forth due to the force of gravity and the tension in the string or rod that it is suspended from.

3. What factors affect the motion of a pendulum?

The motion of a pendulum is affected by its length, mass, and the gravitational force acting on it. The amplitude (distance from the center) and the initial angle of release also play a role in the motion.

4. What is the formula for calculating the period of a pendulum?

The formula for calculating the period (time for one complete swing) of a pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How can I use a pendulum to measure the acceleration due to gravity?

By measuring the period of a pendulum and using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), you can calculate the acceleration due to gravity (g). This can be done by varying the length of the pendulum and measuring the corresponding periods to find the relationship between the two variables.