Circular motion with unknowns and picture

In summary, the problem involves an ice cube sliding on a frictionless sphere and the goal is to determine the angle at which the ice cube leaves the surface of the sphere. The relevant equations are F=ma and v_0^2=v^2+2gRcosx. The attempt at a solution involved setting up equations for the sum of forces in the radial direction and using the relationship between normal force and gravitational force. The correct equation for the angle is x=arccos(v_0^2/3Rg) and the normal force would be mgcosx.
breck

Homework Statement

An ice cube slides on a frictionless sphere. It is placed at the top at of the sphere with radius (R), and given an instantaneous push at speed (S). At what angle(x) from vertical does the ice cube leave the surface of the sphere?

Radius = R
Speed/Velocity = v
angle = x

Photo_00001-1.jpg

Homework Equations

F=ma
v_0^2=v^2+2gRcosx

The Attempt at a Solution

mgcosx=mv^2/R
Rgcosx=v^2
Rgcosx=v_0^2-2gRcosx
3Rgcosx=v_0^2
cosx=v_0^2/3Rg
x=arccos(v_0^2/3Rg)

this seems like a processed answer but i believe it is wrong. i think step 3 (Rgcosx=v_0^2-2gRcosx) is wrong. But even still, my professor said that that v was instantaneous. so v_0=v?

I honestly don't know how to go about this problem. I tried going about it the same way as a similar problem (mass at the end of a string, what is the angle that T=0) but it does not translate well to this problem. any type of nudge in the right direction would be excellent.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get that equation for the angle?

ehild

ehild said:
How did you get that equation for the angle?

ehild

Like I said, I was trying to follow a similar type problem, but it didn't work out well and that is just a mismatched answer. It is wrong. I just have no idea about how to solve this problem correctly.

Just like any circular motion problem you need to sum the forces in radial direction and set that equal to mv^2/r. In this case your going to have a component of your gravitational force that can be expressed as a function of the angle along with the normal force.

Now if it is looking for the point when the block leaves the sphere what is the normal force going to be at that point?

Next since there is no friction you can determine the velocity at any point using...

Normal force would equal mg. mg+Rcosx=mv^2/R?

No, the normal force would only equal to mg at the very top if it was not in motion. The normal force is the force applied on the block by the sphere. So if they are not touching that force is...

For the other part of your equation you are on the right track with Rcosx, but the 'R' is not correct. Your trying to find the component of the weight in the radial direction. Also Rcosx would not be the correct units for force.

I get theta = arccosine((u^2 + 2gr)/3gr)

venkatg said:
I get theta = arccosine((u^2 + 2gr)/3gr)

that is the answer i get for a similar problem but i don't think it is the answer to this problem
the normal force would be mgcosx. that is correct units

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object's distance from a fixed point remains the same at all times.

What are the key components of circular motion?

The key components of circular motion are the radius, the speed, and the direction of the object's movement.

How do you calculate the speed of an object in circular motion?

The speed of an object in circular motion can be calculated using the formula v = 2πr/T, where v is the speed, r is the radius of the circle, and T is the time taken for one full revolution.

What is the centripetal force in circular motion?

The centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of the circle, keeping the object in circular motion. It is given by the formula F = mv²/r, where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

How do you solve for unknowns in circular motion using a picture?

To solve for unknowns in circular motion using a picture, you can use the given information such as the radius, speed, and direction of the object's movement to set up equations and solve for the unknown variables using the appropriate formulas.