Circulating Charged Particle

In summary, we have an electron with a kinetic energy of 1.20keV moving in a plane perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field. The orbit radius is 25.0cm. Using the formula F=m\frac{v^2}{r}, we can find the electron's speed to be 2.05x10^7 m/s. The magnetic field magnitude can be found using qvB=m\frac{v^2}{r}, and the circling frequency can be found using the formula r= \frac{mv}{qB}. The period of motion can be calculated using T=\frac {2\pi r}{v}.
exitwound

Homework Statement

An electron of kinetic energy 1.20keV circles in a plane perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field. The orbit radius is 25.0cm. Find a.) The electron's speed. b.) the magnetic field magnitude c.)the circling frequency, and d) the period of the motion.

Homework Equations

[tex]F=m\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]
[tex]qvB=m\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]
[tex]r= \frac{mv}{qB}[/tex]
[tex]T=\frac {2\pi r}{v}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1.2 keV = 1.92 x10^-16 Joules

I don't know what to do to find the velocity. I know if it's moving, it's kinetic energy can be linked to the velocity somehow. It's acceleration is v^2/r but that's all I know.

Anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
k=0.5mv2

you should know that formula

That's what I did FIVE TIMES and kept getting the wrong answer. I do it NOW after you've responded and it's correct. I was absolutely sure that .5mv^2 was the right formula to use. I don't know what I was doing wrong.

[itex]1.92x10^{-16}=.5(9.1x10^{-31})(v^2)[/itex]

[itex]v^2=\frac{(1.92x10^{-16})(2)}{(9.1x10^{-31})}[/itex]
[itex]v=2.05x10^7[/itex]

sorry to bug you.

oh well :p

1. What are circulating charged particles?

Circulating charged particles are particles that have a charge and are moving in a circular path due to an external magnetic field. They can be found in various natural and man-made systems, such as atoms, charged particles in a particle accelerator, and charged particles in the Earth's magnetosphere.

2. How are circulating charged particles created?

Circulating charged particles can be created through various processes, such as ionization of atoms or molecules, acceleration of charged particles in a magnetic field, or collisions between particles in a plasma. They can also be created in natural phenomena like lightning, auroras, and solar flares.

3. What is the significance of circulating charged particles in research?

Circulating charged particles play a crucial role in many areas of scientific research. They are used in particle accelerators to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and in plasma physics to understand the behavior of charged particles in high-energy environments. They are also important in space research, as they contribute to the formation of the Earth's auroras and can affect satellite operations.

4. How do circulating charged particles affect our daily lives?

Circulating charged particles have a significant impact on our daily lives. They are used in medical imaging techniques like MRI and PET scans, and in the production of electricity through generators and turbines. They also play a role in the formation of weather patterns and the Earth's magnetic field, which protects us from harmful solar radiation.

5. Can circulating charged particles be manipulated?

Yes, circulating charged particles can be manipulated using external magnetic or electric fields. This is the basis for technologies like particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and plasma propulsion systems. Scientists are also researching ways to control and manipulate circulating charged particles for applications in quantum computing and energy production.