Civil Engineering vs Nuclear Engineering

In summary, nuclear engineering is a very complex and demanding field, with a higher than average salary. Chemistry is important in the field, as is programming and knowledge of radiation transport. Many nuclear engineers also find other specialty areas such as health physics and medical physics after obtaining their degree.
tpcgreg
I am currently finishing up my freshman year of college and am a civil engineering major. I have been considering switching to nuclear engineering recently. I want to know if nuclear engineering would be a good fit for me. I don't really enjoy chemistry very much, I strongly prefer physics (which is a one of the reasons that I chose civil). How important is chemistry in nuclear engineering? Also, which would you say has better career prospects in the future? Also, what exactly do most nuclear engineers do?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I am currently a junior and I am doing CE with a minor in Nuclear Engineering. I don't know if your school offers this option. But I chose this because it seems like there are opportunities for CE specifically Structural Engineers to work in the design of Nuclear Power Plants. Not the reactors, but the actual facility.

I'm a Nuclear Engineer. I worked with a BS as a Reactor Engineer and I am now working with my PhD as a Research Scientist. Nuclear Engineering has a few sub-areas of interest, with the two primary areas being: 1. Nuclear Power and 2. Radiation Studies. A BS who wants to work on the Nuclear Power side will probably work at a nuclear power plant, at the headquarters of the nuclear division of a utility, work for a vendor like GE or Westinhouse, or work in the Navy nuclear area with subs. I may be leaving something out as I'm typing this up quickly. A BS on the Radiation side may work in the same areas, but will focus more so on matters such as radiation shielding, radiation protection, radiation detection, or some other disciplines. At the BS level you see people working as reactor engineers, nuclear engineers, criticality safety engineers, probabilistic risk assessment engineers, systems engineers, I&C engineers, and so forth.

At the PhD level, the work is more research-based. You said that you like physics. Do you enjoy programming? If so, then perhaps an area that would interest you would be working in radiation transport. There are several transport codes used in the nuclear industry. Some are stochastic (Monte Carlo) and some are deterministic. These codes are used in both sides of nuclear engineering. Much of my day to day work involves the use of those codes, however, I have several colleagues who develop them.

Nuclear Engineering also sets you up for some other specialty areas such as Health Physics and Medical Physics. If you have an interest in Medicine, I have a friend who decided to use his Nuclear Engineering degree as preparation for Med School. He is now becoming a Radiologist.

I'm short on time right now, so I'm not really doing Nuclear Engineering full justice, but I hope this was able to help.

Oh, and as for Civil Engineering, the ones I know who have a BS in the area are having a tough time right now with the lower demand (currently because of the cutbacks in construction) and lower pay, but the ones I know with PhD's are doing OK.

One thing to consider is to continue the track you're on now and get a CivE BS degree, which is a broader degree than Nuclear Engineering (even broader degrees would be EE or ME). Simultaneously, you could either get a minor in NE (as tiperez mentioned) or go on to earn a graduate (MS or PhD) in NE. That way, if you decided you didn't like NE or the demand for NE goes down, you could still fall back on the training you earned for your BS as a Civil/Mechanical/Electrical Engineer. They will always be in demand (just check job descriptions - most require or prefer candidates with these degrees).

On the other hand, if you get a BS in Nuclear Engineering, and the demand for Nuclear Engineers in the job market goes down, you have nothing to fall back on. Or if you decide you like some other field more, (e.g. bioengineering), one of these broader degrees may help you get into said graduate program easier than an NE BS. Diversification of knowledge makes you valuable as a potential employee.

I'm doing a BS in ME and should graduate by next year, and am planning on doing a minor in NE. I hope to do a graduate degree in NE, as well.

This is by no means doctrine, just something to consider. The job market can fluctuate quite a bit, especially if there aren't more reactors that are going to be commissioned.

for your question. I can provide some information to help you make an informed decision about your major.

Firstly, it is important to note that both civil engineering and nuclear engineering are highly specialized and in-demand fields. Both require a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, but their applications and career paths are quite different.

In terms of chemistry, it is an important aspect of nuclear engineering, but it may not be the primary focus of your work. Nuclear engineers primarily deal with the design, development, and operation of nuclear power plants, as well as the research and development of nuclear technology for various applications. While chemistry is involved in these processes, it may not be the main focus of your work, especially if you are more interested in the physics aspect.

In terms of career prospects, both fields have promising opportunities. Civil engineering is a broad field with a wide range of applications, from infrastructure development to environmental engineering. Nuclear engineering, on the other hand, is a more specialized field with a focus on nuclear technology and energy. Both fields are expected to see growth in the coming years, with a growing demand for sustainable and efficient infrastructure and energy sources.

It is also worth noting that nuclear engineering offers a unique opportunity to work with cutting-edge technology and contribute to the development of clean and sustainable energy. This may be a factor to consider if you are passionate about making a positive impact on the environment.

Overall, the decision to switch to nuclear engineering should be based on your interests and career goals. I would recommend researching and talking to professionals in the field to gain a better understanding of the day-to-day work of a nuclear engineer. This will help you determine if it is the right fit for you. Best of luck in your decision-making process!

What is the main difference between Civil Engineering and Nuclear Engineering?

Civil Engineering and Nuclear Engineering are both branches of engineering that deal with the design, construction, and maintenance of infrastructure. However, the main difference lies in their focus. Civil Engineering mainly deals with the design and construction of buildings, roads, bridges, and other physical structures, while Nuclear Engineering focuses on the design and development of nuclear power plants and other nuclear facilities.

Which field has a more complex and challenging scope of work?

Both Civil Engineering and Nuclear Engineering have their own complexities and challenges. Civil Engineering projects often involve dealing with varying environmental conditions, complex structural designs, and intricate construction processes. On the other hand, Nuclear Engineering involves working with radioactive materials, complex systems, and strict safety measures. It can be argued that Nuclear Engineering has a more complex and challenging scope of work due to the potential risks involved.

What are the educational requirements for Civil Engineering and Nuclear Engineering?

Both Civil Engineering and Nuclear Engineering require a bachelor's degree in engineering. However, the specific educational requirements may vary depending on the country and institution. Generally, Civil Engineering programs cover topics such as structural design, transportation engineering, and construction management. Nuclear Engineering programs, on the other hand, focus on topics such as nuclear physics, radiation protection, and reactor design.

What are the career opportunities for Civil Engineers and Nuclear Engineers?

Civil Engineers can work in a variety of industries, including construction, transportation, and infrastructure development. They can also specialize in fields such as structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, and environmental engineering. Nuclear Engineers, on the other hand, primarily work in the nuclear power industry. They can also find employment in research facilities, government agencies, and consulting firms.

Which field has a higher demand for professionals?

Both Civil Engineering and Nuclear Engineering are in demand professions. However, the demand for Nuclear Engineers may be higher due to the growing need for clean and sustainable energy sources. Civil Engineers are also in demand, especially in developing countries where infrastructure development is a priority. The demand for both professions is expected to increase as the world's population continues to grow, and the need for new and improved infrastructure becomes more pressing.