1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classification of groups of order 8

1. Feb 27, 2008 #1
    Hi next one, bit confused with this problem: any hints on any of the parts would be greatly appreciated.

QUESTION:
    ---------------------------------------
    let G be a group of order 8 and suppose that [itex]y \epsilon G[/itex] has ord(y)=4. Put [itex]H = [1,y,y^2,y^3][/itex] and let [itex]x \epsilon G-H[/itex]

(i) show that [itex]H \lhd G[/itex] and that [itex]x^2 \epsilon H[/itex]
    (ii) list, a priori, the possibilities for [itex]x^2[/itex] and label them [itex]P_1,...,P_n[/itex].
    (iii) list the possibilities for [itex]xyx^{-1}[/itex] (HINT: CHECK ORDERS) and label them [itex]Q_1,....,Q_m[/itex]
    (iv) By examining the pairs, [itex](P_i,Q_j)[/itex] in turn show that G is isomorphic to one of [itex]C_8, C_4 \times C_2, D_8, Q_8[/itex].
    Deduce that an arbitrary group of order 8 is isomorphic to one of [itex]C_2 \times C_2 \times C_2, C_4 \times C_2, C_8, D_8, Q_8[/itex]
    ---------------------------------------

For part (i) i understand i have to show G is a normal subgroup of H but im not sure how to show that G is a subgroup (i.e. closure holds, existance of identity element of G in H, etc) and it is normal. i..e For all g in G, gHg^−1 ⊆ N.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2008 #2
    You want to show H is a normal subgroup of G not the reverse. Showing that H is a subgroup follows from the fact that y has order 4. Do you see why? To show it's a normal subgroup of G consider the left (or right) cosets of H in G. How many are there?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?